Monday, January 20, 2020

Sewing Project - Quilt 2 - Blue Green Squares

I finished another quilt today in time to share with the ladies at Quilting tonight.

This is another inheritance from the lady that passed away.  There was a stash of fabric and our leader took all the pieces home and cut 5" squares.  She packaged these together and we were each given a set of 40 squares at our Christmas social get together on Dec 9th.

I worked a lot on trying combine the patterns and eventually just reassembled them into larger squares.  I needed 48 5" squares so I dug into my stash to find what I needed.  Worked out pretty well.

Final Size: 41.50W x 54.00T inches

Colors: Blue, Green and Navy

Squares: 9.5 inches

Backing: A small print green patterned fabric in 100% cotton. 

Sashing: 4" strips of Navy in between the printed squares and rows between the patterned squares.

 Technique: QAYG Mom Style


I pinned my flannelette batting and my green backing together then using QAYG sewed the rows across.  I laid the navy top strip first then added the first wide patterned row and sewed that down and ironed it.  I then added the next narrow navy strip before quilting the first patterned row which gave me a line for my quilting of the patterned squares.


Binding: Navy at 2.5 inches.  Sewn to the back, folded to the front and finished from the back to make sure I did  not get navy thread on the green backing fabric.  I used a wide zig zag stitch to make sure I caught the fold over on the front.

Quilting: I just outlined the printed squares at a .25 inch.

Lessons learned:
Sewing down the navy strip below the patterned row helped me align my quilting on the patterned squares easily.
I used white thread to assemble the quilt and then switched to navy when I got to the binding.

It will make a great quilt for a boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.