Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Small Gifts - Car (Cup Holder) Coasters

I came across this idea doing research the other day.

In many places they are called car coasters but they are really coasters for your cup holders in the car.  There are a variety of sizes available and some being sold on Etsy at 2.5 inches were getting feedback that they were too small. The hard ones also provide a thumb notch so they can be removed.  They are meant to collect condensation and spills from our drinks.  They would gather crumbs, dirt and miscellaneous other stuff that ends up in there.

In my opinion, these should handle the moisture that accumulates in these holders, be easy to remove, washable and I should have 2 sets so there is always a clean set.

I decided I should have at least one set of these. I chose navy and yellow felt because they are my favorite colors and go with the car color. I measured my cup holder bottom and they are about 3" in diameter. I could place a 3" circle of paper on the bottom.  Of course, depending on the material used it will affect if they can still be 3 inches.

I cut the navy bottom circle at 3" in diameter and the yellow top circle at 2.75".  I added a navy grosgrain ribbon tab in between the circles to be able to pull them out.   I sewed a seam 1/8" from the edge of the yellow circle all the way around. I started the seam on the tab and then with the back stitching needed it provides reinforcement to the point of stress.  

Here they are in the cup holders in the car. These are very plain jane but generally I will not see them much because I carry a water bottle and a tea travel mug most places I go. 

I will have to decide if I will embellish them and how to do that efficiently.

I hand cut the circles for these because my diecut tools are packed at the present time. It would be make nice clean edges and time saving.

I will have to think about what my second set will look like. 



Well, adding a couple more circles to these coasters has uplifted their personality quite a bit. 

I layered red and green circles in 2 different sizes onto the yellow layer.

They are held in place by stitching through all layers with navy cotton thread. 

These are getting their test run tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a brilliant idea! Those cup holders are tough to clean properly. Thank you for sharing, Sylvia.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.