Monday, November 9, 2020

Sylvia's Simple Shots


My aunt and I went on a last photo trip to the Lois Hole Provincial Park before the snow came.  We started at the Riel Recreation area and walked over.  I had hope the sun would come out but nay it did not. It was hard to get highlights on the eyes.

We found still a lot of birds - Canada Geese, Gulls, Tundra Swans, Coots, and ducks. There was other wildlife as well thinking the same I expect.  I was surprised the birds were still here.

Here is a munching muskrat.  There were many of them sitting on bits of ice that have started to form on the smaller ponds.  I love the water drops on his fir!

No beavers today though they are around.


This is the only sighting of the Wilsons Snipe this year. It's been a few years since my first shot of this bird.

It was feeding along the edge of the river so the angle of the shot was not ideal.  

I have not been doing a lot of take out food. I guess tired on my own cooking also. I was having a hankering for War Wonton soup from my local restaurant.  I was lucky that despite not having ordered ahead I did not meet anyone in the tiny lobby as I waited for my order to be prepared.  It was super delicious as always.

This is what breakfast looks like these days.

I decided to reduce the amount of dairy products I consume.  I had yogurt which has been replaced with peanut butter to get the protein I needed.

I am still having cream in my tea.

Almond milk or coconut milk are the alternatives I have been using for quite a few years.  Love the cashew milk as well.

We had our first big snowfall on the weekend and I see that the magpie that has started visiting was here this morning.

 

Recently, my aunt shared with me a webinar by photographer Harold Davis - Bottle Light.

I thought it was so cool!  

My first attempt did not so well but this morning with the biggest light available - the sun I managed some shots I was happy with.

I will prepare a blog post with more information in the next little while

I have direct sun for about an hour in the morning if it is shining at all. 

This book - The Lace Makers of Glenmarra by Heather Barbieri is a great book.

A book about women - mothers, daughters, best friends, sisters, and strangers who come from away and enter our lives and their relationships.

There is heart break, good times, teaching, learning, new ideas, and taking risks to improve life.

It is set in wonderful Ireland and the main character is Kate Robinson from Seattle who is taking a trip she planned with her Mom but things changed and she is doing it alone.

There are men too - some hardworking, some abusive, some lazy and taking advantage, some with very rigid opinions and a father who spoke up when it mattered.

I would recommend this book!

I am sharing with Angie who hosts Mosaic Monday #104  and 

Mersad who hosts Through My Lens #265.

 The challenge for the Flickr Macro Monday this week is Puzzle. You see a few pieces of a jigsaw puzzle here.

Check out my Flickr Photostream (smdpics) for the image I submitted.


6 comments:

  1. That book sounds good...like one I would like! Thanks for letting us know about it. And the munching muskrat is very cute! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good that you got out before the early snowfall. I will look for the book - it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sylvia - what a wonderful picture of the muskrat. And I don't know why you are so critical about the snipe photo - I think it is lovely! Whenever I hear of a snipe, I think of the movie "Up". Have you seen it? A heartbreaker. Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    The muskrat is a cute critter. I love the Snipe photo, it has been awhile since I have seen a Snipe! The book sounds interesting, I will see if my library has the ebook version. Great images! Take care, stay safe! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delightful variety of photos! The animals are great to see and the bottle light shots are just fabulous!!

    Feel free to share at My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good book and I love the bottle light.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.