Monday, June 10, 2019

Recent Photos

One morning this week I headed out early and further a field with the car in search of a park I had heard of on TV.

It had rained for 2 days before so there was heavy dew drops on the grasses along the path. I wanted to capture it all as it was so wonderful looking.  I took a lot of photos.

I captured this one which had a sun burst in a rain drop on the bottom left corner and another above and a little more left, bokeh of water drops further away, and a spider web in rainbow colors!






It was cool so I wore my raincoat which passed the test earlier in the week when I took my 1 hour walk without getting wet.




I have been learning new photography techniques. Last week oil on water and this week In Camera Motion.

After some research on line I set my aperture to 1/4 second and headed out to try some out.  I focused, started moving the camera and pressed down the shutter button.  The faster you move the more out of focus the photo.  I created waves in this one.


I finished my next Kate Morton book last week.   This is her first book.    I found the beginning a little slow but the middle and end were worth the wait.

The House at Riverton set in England between the wars. It is the story of an aristocratic family, a house, a mysterious death and a way of life that vanished forever, told in flashback by a woman who witnessed it all and kept a secret for decades.

Grace Bradley went to work at Riverton House as a servant when she was just a girl, before the First World War. For years her life was inextricably tied up with the Hartford family, most particularly the two daughters, Hannah and Emmeline.

In the summer of 1924, at a glittering society party held at the house, a young poet shot himself. The only witnesses were Hannah and Emmeline and only they -- and Grace -- know the truth.

In 1999, when Grace is ninety-eight years old and living out her last days in a nursing home, she is visited by a young woman who is making a film about the events of that summer. She takes Grace back to Riverton House and reawakens her memories. Told in flashback, this is the story of Grace's youth during the last days of Edwardian aristocratic privilege shattered by war, of the vibrant twenties and the changes she witnessed as an entire way of life vanished forever.

The novel is full of secrets -- some revealed, others hidden forever, reminiscent of the romantic suspense of Daphne du Maurier. It is also a meditation on memory, the devastation of war and a beautifully rendered window into a fascinating time in history.

I finally got a decent photo of a Yellow Warbler.  Their song is always with as I walk in the morning.  But considering it is about the size of a large thumb and the trees now have leaves I had given up getting a photo.

I finally spied him just singing away.  I managed about 16 photos before he flew away when someone else came down the path.

I wished he did not have the shadow on his face but at 12 feet in a tree I take what I can get.

He will be making it to my 2020 photo calendar later this year.

I did find The Magpie's Nests art installation in the Rossdale Linear Park. They are bronze and painted steel. The artists are local to the province.  Excellent art!

Parking is limited to residents. As it was before 6 am I decided to take a chance and took a few shots.  I did not stay long and it is a small park on a great walking path.

My favorite is the white sphere.  I love the shape.

Sharing with

Angie at Letting Go the Bay Leaf who hosts Mosaic Monday #31.

Mersad who hosts Through My Lens #195.

3 comments:

  1. Hello, the bokeh image is lovely and I love the colors in the motion photo. The Yellow Warbler is a beautiful bird, great sighting and capture. Thanks for the book review, I will check it out. The Magpie Art is neat. Wishing you a happy day and a great new week! PS, thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...good for you, I need to experiment more with my camera. It's so easy to get on a rut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sylvia - you are on a roll with your photography. Especially impressed with your perseverance to get the yellow warbler. We have them here, but you are right that it is a tough shot to get with all the leaves on the trees. I read that book and I remember the shock ending - the whole book I was sympathetic to the main character, and then! I appreciate you linking to Mosaic Monday but I don't think your thumbnail is showing up on the Linky. Did you have any technical issues I should know about?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.