Monday, May 11, 2020

Sylvia's Simple Shots

I had a wonderful photo day at the wetlands yesterday morning but it was COLD!

This is the first time I see this bird - an American Avocet.  They were feeding in a large pool of water in a construction site.  There were about 30 of them wandering around in about 8 inches of water.

I was thrilled to see them but I was completely frozen so keep the camera steady was a challenge.

They did not seem troubled by my presence at all.

I saw as a Song Sparrow, a flock of Tree Swallows,  Golden Eyes, a Blue Winged Teal and of course a Red Wing Blackbird male but no good photos.

The Canada Geese were cranky!

They were raising a fuss, making a racket, and flying overhead chasing each other.

You can see the left one's tongue is sticking out as it honks at the other one.

They were acting like some of us are feeling due to sheltering in place.











This book has been on my night stand for a couple of weeks I have just given up on it. It's depressing.

I don't really need to read about 2 couples in marriages who are unhappy and unhealthy.  I did read more than half of it but it was not getting better so I am cutting my losses and moving on.

Love the setting of Venise though.


A female Red Wing Blackbird perched on the very top of a dried bullrush.

As you can see she is all fluffed up trying to stay warm.

Really happy with the capture.

I was at the Lois Hole Provincial Park and the John Poole Wetlands.  Nature carries on in this time of isolation.

It was good to be outside, taking photos and not having to worry about someone getting too close.  A tuque would have been nice.

A nice hot shower when I got home did the trick. 

This American Robin had her feathers all puffed up as well trying to stay warm.

It was very windy and you can see her feathers are being moved about by it.

She stayed very still as I took  many shots.

Great bird captures is always rewarding.

I saw only one other person yesterday morning about 7:30 am.  It was threatening rain but it did not rain till the afternoon.

They have made the boardwalk one way for physical distancing so I had to walk all the way around.

The challenge for Flickr Macro Monday was Gold or Silver.  There is a lot of wedding rings being submitted.

I had all kinds of options and here are a few.

I used a gold oval brooch, a gold Chinese fan necklace,  an Anne Klein earring that makes me think of a shoe and an silver aluminum cigar tube where I used to store dimes. 

You can check out my SMDPics photostream to see the shot I submitted.

Sharing with Angie who hosts Mosaic Monday #79.

Mersad who hosts Through My Lens #240.

10 comments:

  1. Hello, I always enjoy the wetland and park visits. The birding is usually wonderful, great capture of the American Avocet. I had a smile over the goose sticking out it's tongue. Pretty capture of the Robin. The gold mosaic is pretty.
    Take care1 Enjoy your day, wishing you a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How amazing to see that Avocet! I've never seen one but they sure have a distinctive bill, don't they? Take care this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, now is not the time to read books that bring you down (or listen to songs that make you sad).

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Avocet has an interesting beak. It must shovel to get things under the water to eat. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your collage of gold is golden, Sylvia. I like how you picked up the sheens and shines of light on the objects.
    I wonder what that other goose forgot (an anniversary perhaps?) that the partner was furious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The American Avocet is a beautiful and elegant bird. Stay safe and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sylvia - so happy for you that you captured these terrific bird pictures! We went to a lake today, and I tried to use my spotting scope for bird photos, and they just weren't very good. I might need to buy a camera for this purpose.

    We have quite a few Canada geese on our lake, and they often make a racket. It makes me wonder what is going on! Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen a avocet -- it's a stunning bird and well done on the photography, especially when it was so cold! (ANd I agree -- life is too short for depressing books!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So great that you were able to get out and take some photos.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade
    https://spatulasonparade.blogspot.com/2020/05/mothers-day-mosaic-monday.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  10. I missed this beautiful post last month... so glad I saw it on your sidebar. Avocets are a wonderful bird, I just love seeing them. What a joy to spot so many, especially in their prettiest coloration.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.