Thursday, January 27, 2022

Bean Bag Support for Phone


Mom's phone in her room now sits on a different piece of furniture than at the apartment.  It's taller and so she can not see the numbers as well.  If it was tilted up more it would be easier.   I started my research to find what I could make to help.  I was thinking polyfil or rigid Styrofoam but a better idea came to the fore.

There are many bean bags being made and marketed to support mobile devices.  I was sure I could adjust the idea for what Mom needed.   At the grocery store I bought the cheapest beanish' stuff I could find. A large bag of yellow split peas came home.  I was not sure how much I would need.  The rest will not go to waste - yellow split soup is on the menu for this week.

I used black microfiber cloth which will wear beautifully.  I cut a square about 9.5 inches.  I sewed all the way around leaving a small slit to fill it.  I added box corners to the far end measuring 1.25 inches.  I then slimmed down the sides so it became narrower at the bottom. With doing some testing with the phone at my place I decided that it would work quite well.

I created a paper funnel to get the peas into the bag. I think I used about 2 cups of split peas.  I then stitched up the fill slit with top stitching.  I then added a row of stitching about 2 inches from the bottom to leave room for the bottom of the phone to rest on the surface.

I added some non slip material on the bottom so that the phone will not move when she presses the buttons. 

This is an Ikea product - STOPP which I have used a lot.  Under my rug in the kitchen, under cutting boards, etc.

It was a whirlwind visit so I hope that this tool does the job and makes her life a little easier.  I will check in with next week and see how things are going.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.