Monday, May 27, 2019

Recent Photos

There was heavy dew on the ground yesterday morning so I thought I would try to find some sunlit dandelions which should look great.

I did find some in a good place.

The fluffy ends of these dandelion seeds seem different to me than other years I have photographed them.  Maybe it is the moisture on them that makes them appear fuller.

I did manage some bokeh in the background from the other droplets of water on the grass.

There were not a lot of full ones and in this shot you can really see the individual seeds.




The crab apples trees were in full bloom. 

Gorgeous pink blossoms in beautiful clusters.

I managed to isolate this one a bit and it says SPRING to me.

The morning was gorgeous and I can go out walking with out an extra jacket. 

Great walk on Sunday morning.

This beautiful tree was found on my walk downtown one day this week.

Of course, I was attracted to the gorgeous color and variations in shades of the blossoms.

There were 5 or 6 of these apple trees lining a very busy road.


Great to see the river valley just below with the bridge going across toward the Conservatory on the other side.



As I took photos of the area I suddenly saw a shape that intrigued me.

Always on the look out of birds I saw this tail and had to investigate.

Aw, it was a robin and she is sitting on a nest!  Are there eggs or baby birds in there.

After waiting about 10 minutes I was rewarded by seeing Robin Dad show up with food.

Look at those precious hungry mouths just waiting for food.

It was a really special few minutes that morning. 

Amazing sight right next to traffic.
I finished the last bit of hand stitching on this quilt last night.  It is finished!

This features mostly Stampin Up 100% cotton fabric. It features Cherry Cobbler, Always Artichoke, and Crumb Cake as colors. I added the striped fabric in similar tones.  I created the accent squares with solids in Cherry Cobble, Soft Suede and Crumb Cake.

I sewed all the 2.5 inch strips together planning on a JellyRoll style and then changed my mind and cup the assembled strips into 9.5 inch squares.

I used a Crumb Cake 100% cotton fabric for sash between the squares as well as the back. I used flannelette sheeting as batting.  The 5 rows of 4 squares were quilted to the backing as rows.  Then the rows were assembled as the backer was larger than the front squares.  The seams were ironed to one side and I top stitched along the seams which gives each square 4 seams.
My final analysis.  I would use a wider sash, less strips per square, and a wider edge binding.  I love the solid accent squares. I have found a Quilt as you Go assembly tutorial which I think will work better for me so I will let you know how it goes on the next quilt. 

The challenge on Flickr Macro Monday is Superstitions. 

I took this photo yesterday for "Step on a crack, break your mother's back."  There is a limit of 3 inches.  I found,  with out a foot this was not as effective as it could be.

Check out my photostream to see the photo I submitted.

Sharing with

Angie at Letting Go the Bay Leaf who hosts Mosaic Monday #29.

Mersad who hosts the Through My Lens 193.


3 comments:

  1. Your quilts is lovely. All the time and planning you put inyo it pays off.
    Have a nice week

    Much🌸love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Sylvia, you have outdone yourself this time. I have a love/hate relationship with dandelions - love the beauty of the seed stage you have shown here. Wonderful micro shot with bokeh! And the light on the crab apple blossom does whisper "spring" in every way. How blessed you are to witness another sign of spring - baby birds. As you know, you can't experience Nature unless you are in it! Thanks for sharing all of this beauty with Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, the blossoms are beautiful. What a sight to see Dad Robin feeding his young. Your quilt is beautiful. Lovely images and mosaic. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.