Monday, July 13, 2020

Sylvia's Simple Shots

I took a drive out of the city on Saturday morning.  I needed to take pictures of something different!  I needed to get away from people and be able to relax a bit.

I found several country roads with interesting things along their ditches.

There is water everywhere as it has rained a lot this summer. These are bulrushes were in overland flooding water in a farmers field.  The area I expect has a few but now there were lots of them.

The wind picked up a little and distorted the reflections in the water.

It was a great morning.


It's almost time to pick raspberries.



I will have to find a new place to pick them this year. 

I better get onto my research.

I have moved the cabinet in the bedroom which holds my die cutting dies.  It is now tucked away in an alcove in the corner by the window.  I took off the shelf that Dad had built onto it so I can access the contents more easily. I have put up some plastic drop sheets to keep the dust out.  I put the hinge back and have used some rare earth magnets to keep it in place.

The space for the new to me sewing machine is ready!

It will sit right under the window where there will be a lot of light.  There are electric outlets on the left and right so I can always add a light for night time.  It will align with the window frame on the left.  That will leave me enough room (18inches) to access the window.

The African Violet has been moved to the corner but it  may not stay there!  It was right in front of the window before.  I will have to see how that works with the sewing machine desk there.

There is still room for the photo frame containers on the left which may be used for extra shelving to manage quilts.

I have a lot to go through with frames and get rid of a stack of them.


This is my new photo studio!  I had a shelf at the end of my bed which just accumulated stuff so I decided to have it be my work space for photography which I like out all the time anyway.   I used the pine shelf I removed from the cabinet in this space which gives me at least 1/3rd more space for photography. 

I am working on having my photography lights, tripod and other gear near at hand but with a place to live so that it will easily be put away.

I love the extra space for set up.  I think it will be great!


I went to the St. Albert Botanic Garden on Saturday morning.  Of course, there are a ton of flowers to photograph!  6:00 am and my car was the only one in the parking lot. Yeah!  There is a walking path nearby but there is a lot of space.  It had rained the night before so I had soaked feet in no time.

I picked 4 of the yellow bloom varieties for my mosaic today.  I have the Chinese Globe Flower in my area as well, makes me think of Buttercups.  Check out the bee in full flight ready ready to land on the Cotswold Queen, beautiful yellow flower clusters with purple centers. The Martagon Lilies were gorgeous in several varieties.  This is the Nepera, lovely golden yellow petals with dots.  The other is a Tiger Lily.

The roses were in bloom, peonies were still in bloom, Jacob's Ladder, daisies, and a lot more to show off another time.

The Flickr Macro Monday challenge this week was Spiral. This is one of the shots from the hundreds I took this week. 

Check out my Flickr Photostream SMDPics to see the shot I submitted.

I am sharing with Angie who hosts Mosaic Monday #88   and Mersad who hosts Through My Lens #248 

Have a good week and be safe!

9 comments:

  1. How nice to get out and see some beautiful flowers! I don't like staying inside all the time either even though it's HOT here! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lot of us are really craving to get out somewhere else for a bit, whether it is an afternoon drive, a long weekend or a vacation. I'm glad you were able to explore a bit. Three cheers on your beautiful space. It sounds very productive and functional and looks lovely. Thanks so much for stopping by, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That botanical garden sounds like a great place to walk ... I love going to those. Super that it opens early and you had the place to yourself! I know what you mean about needing to get away occasionally nowadays ... even though you have so many interests at home (and I love what you’ve done with your place, by the way!). Thanks for sharing the good ideas and the beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, I love raspberries. I am always shifting things around in my studio to make room for more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely mosaic and photos. I am #18 on the linky
    Stay safe

    Much🍇love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sewing and photography work stations look great. One of these days, I'll get there, too. I like your use of the drop cloth to hold out dust. I wonder if sheer fabric would do the same trick. That could be one way to use up sheer curtains and material in my stash.
    Your yellow flower mosaic soothes me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sylvia - I think the ripples in the water add a texture and depth to the picture that is more interesting than a reflection - that's just me! Your flower mosaic is lovely - coordinated colors and yet each a beauty in its own right. Thanks for linking up to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great sewing spot and very quick for the shelve with dice cuts, smart to add the plastic.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it great to be outdoors at long last, staying away from crowded places is still necessary of course, it looks like you found a wonderful secret garden to enjoy the scenery and beautiful flowers.
    Happy MM.
    Maggie @ turning the page.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.