Monday, July 27, 2020

Sylvia's Simple Shots

I took a visit to the St. Albert Botanic Garden this week.  The dahlias are in full bloom and it was wonderful to be able to photograph a few.  At 6:00 am I was the only one around.  There is a path nearby and there are dog walkers and bicyclists but not a problem.

The is the Pam Howden Dahlia which is quite large.   I love the colors of yellows in the center, magenta on the tips and deep orange in between. 

It was a delight to enjoy the flowers. The very large garden is maintained by volunteers which take much pride in their work.


I finished Latitudes of Melt book this week.  Aurora with here white hair, pale skin looks different than the rest of her family and neighbours in a small outpost in Newfoundland.  With a blue and one brown eye she is viewed as a changeling an being from a different world. She loves the outdoors and walks the barrens, picks flowers and berries and is a free spirit. 

She was  found on an ice pack by a couple of fisherman.  Wrapped in a cradle tied to a wooden chair with a hat, a bit of food and a bottle of water.  The year was 1912 and the sinking of the Titanic was the latest news.  Many speculated that she was a survivor of the disaster.

She grows, goes to school, marries, has 2 children, is very happy and continues to live in the outpost.  When her husband dies she becomes she starts her life over as a caregiver.  She takes care of an elderly neighbour, then a unhappy and arrogant man until she has enough to buy her own house. 

Her son travels the world and studies ice.  Interesting.  Eventually her granddaughter living in Ireland tracks down Aurora's family who sailed on the Titanic.  Her mother was lost and her father was thought to have been on board but it was discovered that he remained in in Ireland.   This was a very good book and I would recommend it as a good read.

My old CCM bike has a new home.  It has been stored for the last 15 years or so, ever since I took a tumble while riding and decided that I will walk from now on.

I decided to respond to a wanted ad from someone looking for a broken bike he could fix.   I explained that it was not "broken" but it would need tires and a good clean. 

I met the gentleman with the bike and sent it on its way. He is a deaf senior and yes he will be able to fix the bike no problem.  I am so grateful to have it bless another.

I picked roadside daisies on my long walk on Saturday morning.  I wanted flowers to put in my art glass vase for the dining room table which will stay tidy now that sewing has a new place.

I was told that these are not really daisies and are really quite toxic weed. 

They did make me sneeze and so when the photo was taken they headed for the waste bucket.

The vase is by a Canadian glass artist named Robert Held.  He produces art glass in his studio on Vancouver Island. Check out his website. robertheld.ca

I have photographed this flower several times this summer.  I just love the watercolor feel to the colors which run from deep purple to teal and turquoise.

I was struggling to figure out what it was. I started with clover but that was not right, then I thought vetch but there was none with this coloring eventually I found out this week that it is Alfalfa!

This one was found on the side of the gravel road.  I guess the seeds are spread by the wind or by farm equipment or other means. 

I was very happy to find the final answer.



Along with flowers are bugs!  These are the ones I found this week.
Left - Red Turnip Beetle who loves canola but no canola fields in the city. Center - Blue Milkweed Beetle with glorious shining colors and then a Ladybug.  This plant had aphids so it was in it's element and had plenty to eat. There were smaller ones around so the family was going to survive.

Flickr Macro Monday challenge this week was "Flame".  I found this quite challenging.  I wanted to photograph it without blown out highlights which was hard.  I tried votive in blue glass, in crystal, and it a vintage cut glass holder. Not really working. I eventually just lit a long fireplace match in front of a vintage mirror and fired off some shots.  I had laid my granite tile for a base to ensure no burn marks in my new photo studio.  You can check out my Flickr Photostream SMDPics to see the one I submitted.

Sharing with Angie who hosts Mosaic Monday #90 and Mersad who hosts Through my Lens #250

9 comments:

  1. What an interesting post. I like it and I like what you are doing
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sylvia - I don't think I have any adjectives to hand that can adequately describe the dahlia. I can see why you like it! Yes, most daisies are not native and they will take over a field in no time, pushing out the native plants and reducing diversity. Pull them up next time! Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...Sylvia, your insect collection is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sylvia,
    I love the beautiful dahlia, daisies are one of my favorites. I am glad the bicycle has a new home. The Book sounds interesting, I will add to to my reading list. The ladybug is so cute. Lovely capture of the flame! Take care! Enjoy your day! Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Dahlias!
    They are in full bloom here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the vase and bugs, great shots. Bravo for you, blessing someone with the bike. I love reading about people who are generous.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dahlia is stunning! I love them, and we have a few, but nothing to rival the vivid colors in your photo. I hope you'll come share it at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2020/07/sleeping-and-stretching-fulltime.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is great that the bike went to a new owner. CCM is a vaunted name in sports equipment. My first skates were CCM.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful flowers and I love your insect mosaic. The middle one the beetle...we have a similar one that is called Green grass beetle :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.