Thursday, September 3, 2020

How To - E Collar to Lampshade

I needed a lampshade for the other area of my sewing space.  My sister had given me an Ikea Hemma light cord.  I had added a LED daylight light bulb but it needed a shade. It has a UNO lampshade connection. The one Ikea shade I liked was 18 inches in diameter so was too wide for the hanger I was going to use.  It would accommodate max 14 inches. I headed to the thrift shop to see what I could find.  No lamp shades but a clear plastic dog E Collar that was the right shape and size.  I think I can work with that. 

I needed something to create the lampshade connection.  I decided a clear plastic lid from a food container would work.  I scored the size of hole I needed and cut it out with an exacto knife.  Then I put the 4 slits so I could slip the straps of the collar through and secured them as designed.

I like this because it allowed for the warmth of the bulb to escape through the spaces at the top. 




The hole I had cut was perfect and I could run it along the threads of the light fixture. Very secure. I then screwed the washer piece from the inside of the lampshade and then added my light bulb.  That was working really great!

Now I needed a covering for this structure. When I revamped the other lamp in the space I had leftover lace.  I measured the circumference of the lampshade and sewed the lace to that size.  I added a hem to top edge of the lace as well.   Now it was just a matter of threading a piece of ribbon through the holes in the lace to allow the lace edge to come even with the lampshade's bottom edge.

The shot on right is looking up from under the lampshade.

 
 
 
The light fixture came with clips so I just ran the cord along the hanger then down the pole to the outlet.  It has a switch which is at the height of the desk so very convenient to turn on as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.