Friday, September 11, 2020

Upgraded Photo Studio

I have made a few changes to the photo studio in the last few weeks.
The upgrade to the photo studio started when I rescued these plastic corrugated plastic panels from a soaked Ikea door on my walk in the morning.  The door was just particle board and it had rained a lot the night before so the frame just came apart.  I released 6 panels from the door.

The door was similar to this one but with panels.

I brought them home, washed them up and had to push some dirt out of the channels with a skewer.  It took some time but now I have great translucent panels that can diffuse light wonderfully.  They measure 15" T x 19.5" W.

 

 

I asked my brother in law when they delivered the sewing machine if he could make some supports which would allow me to stand the panels as I chose.  I sent a 2x4 and a plastic panel home with him.  When I visited in early August they were ready. 

They are great because I can have a small profile, they can support the panel from bottom or side, provide in nice snug fit so make a sturdy structure.

This black base was the shelf that sat on the support in it's previous life.  It was just sitting around and I went "Why don't I use that for the base?"  It's black which is good.  It is larger than the bases I was using.  


So I placed it on my pine shelf and snugged stuff to it.  The space measures 21" W x 24" D.

That left me space on the left hand side for props, objects and whatever I need for a given photo shoot. 

This is the backdrop support at the back of the space.  It holds whatever I want to use as a background for my photograph.  I use plastic, lace, metallic mesh, and a lot more stuff depending on what I am photographing.  

It could be sturdier if it had supports on both ends. I will put my thinking cap on and come up with a stand that I can make which would work better. This works pretty good.

Now the lights for the studio are stored on the metal shelf across from the studio.  It is behing me when I am taking photos.  The small clip lights just clip onto the shelf support.  The larger lights are stored on hooks attached to the top shelf and just hang down along the side of the shelving unit.  I have had the hooks for a while but this the perfect place to use them. 

I added a power bar along the bottom of the shelving unit which allows the lights to remain plugged in all the time or shut them all off with a flick of a switch on the bar. 

I found some LED light bulbs at IKEA which work well for the E17 base lights I have. The small clip ones and the IKEA lamps need this size bulb.

The camera case has it's spot on the metal shelving unit.  Just a clip and it is easily on my shoulder ready to go.

There's a clip to hold the tripod.  I have added a black ribbon to the head of the tripod and that just gets hooked onto the metal hook.  

I was sure glad that I had about a dozen of these hooks and a sturdy metal shelving unit for all the extra photo stuff.

 


There's a bit of space between the stand and the boxes to store extra plastic panels, reflector, white reflector panels, and color gels.

I am very happy having made the decision to have a permanent space for my photo studio.  It is a horizontal space that is always available and everything I used has a place to be stored!  

Clean up is quick and easy!

1 comment:

  1. This is fascinating, Sylvia. I'm so very impressed! Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.