Monday, August 16, 2021

Sylvia's Simple Shots

The youngsters are growing up.   I found this juvenile Downy Woodpecker at a feeder yesterday morning.

Of course, it is the time of year when the little ones start being independent and making it on their own.

He is just starting to have the red patch on his head.

He was pretty small but the Downys are a small species.

I finished The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin this week. 

It has been a couple of weeks reading it because I can no longer read in bed because of the progressive lens in my glasses.  I have to sit.  

It is not a novel and covers some intensive subjects.  I will keep this book because I will need to read it again.  Because I will get a few concepts at a time.

Be Gretchen - the idea that you have to be you which means accepting yourself as you are. 

Live life with gratitude - A concept I have embrace and first read with Ann Voskamp and 1000 Gifts.

Clean out the clutter - You likely only wear the clothes you like anyway so get rid of the other stuff.  Yes, even if you paid lots for it, got a good deal, or it's the perfect color.  You don't wear it so pass it on.  

Happy or Right?  Work on your judgmental and critical nature.  Being happy is more important than being right. 

I purchased a silicone handle for my cast iron fry pan.  I used this tool nearly every day and having to use a pot holder all the time was a pain.  Now it stays on all the time so no worries about burning my hand.

As you can see though, it is too long and too wide. During my research I did not get the impression they are made in different sizes.  Most of them are also red where black might have been nice.

Makes my life better so that is a good thing.
I purchased an indoor timer to handle the grow light on the plants.  I just don't have to worry about turning it on and off.  

The plants get the light they need and I have less to handle.

As you can see the basil, orrgano and asparagus fern are doing really well.



The sunflowers are finally in full bloom.  I love sunflowers.  There are some in the community garden, flower beds, gardens and some have just grown volunteer in ground with the right conditions.

I found these at a Sunflower Garden.  There were hundreds of them.  We also have mazes in our province who use sunflowers instead of corn.  What a great idea.

I would love to have a few for my table but I will enjoy them as I see them around my travels.

Flowers are everywhere.  I have yet to get a nice pansy photo.  This one is the best.

Echinacea or the cone flower with it's orange center.  

Day lilies are very common in city properties.

The challenge this week at Flickr Macro Mondays is Paper Art.  You can check my Flickr Photo stream (SMDPics) to see my entry. 

I am sharing with Angie who host Mosaic Monday #143 and
Mersad who hosts Through My Lens #301 .

5 comments:

  1. Sylvia - I had a tough decision to make this week, and I think I chose "happy" over "right". We'll see how it turns out. I have a volunteer sunflower in my garden, and it has brought me much joy! Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book sounds interesting, and I can understand why it would be one to re-read. Flowers are everywhere here, too, and we visited a Sunflower Maze on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Happiness Project sounds like a great thing to do. The timer and the silicone handle are both great ideas. I will have to look for that handle. Thanks!! Beautiful flowers and I specially LOVE the woodpecker. He is just so adorable. Wonderful photo!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning, Sylvia. Here I am... the week goes by, I don't understand where the time stay.

    The small woodpacker is amazing and I admire the silicone handle, it's a helpful thing.

    Be happy ... yes, I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, a paper art challenge was just made for you! I've read the Happiness Project and there were lots of good ideas. Gratitude is one way for sure that I try to follow every day. Sylvia, I sure hope my comments are getting through to you. They do just seem to disappear after I hit send. If you have a minute sometime, could you let me know if you do see them?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.