Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Sewing Project - TV Chair Outfit - Cushion and Headrest Cover

This is my TV chair with its new outfit.

I received this chair from my aunt as a gift this summer and it reclines to bring a footstool.  I loved it.

I have been using the fleece blanket I had on the couch but it is too big and get caught in footstool when I get up and close it.

I wanted a new blanket, a new cover for the cushion I have been using and an updated head rest cover.

There is still a remote control holder to come but I have not decided and designed it.
 

This is the Cushion Cover.

I used the fabric I purchased this summer which matched all the chairs in the living room.  You can see the fabric in this post.

I found a yellow zipper in my stash that would be long enough for a side opening.

This fabric frays very easily so I had to serge all the edges as I went along.

I cut 2 pieces of this fabric 21 inches x 15 inches. This would allow 1 inch seam allowances. 

I followed this tutorial to put the zipper in. It worked perfectly.  I used the selvage edge of the fabric and folded it in 1 inch on both pieces. I sewed the ends about 3.5 inches leaving the center open where the zipper will show.  

The zipper is 14 inches on the 18 inch side. I then pinned the zipper to the opening making sure to mark where the metal bits were to make sure I sewed on the far side of those.

Once the zipper was in I could just sew up the other 3 sides. Make sure you move the zipper pull down before you sew up the sides as that is the opening you will use to turn it inside out.

I did have a large seam allowance (2.25 inches) across from the zipper but it was better to have too much than find I was short.

I had pinned loosely to figure out where the seam should be.  

Sewed it the other sides together and turned it inside out, used my chopstick to push out the corners. My little cushion fit perfectly inside.

I used the grey thread to sew this project.

Headrest Cover
The research and gathering of fabrics I did this summer paid off because the piece of 100% cotton upholstery fabric was in the bucket.

That will work for the headrest cover.  I paired it with a piece of microfiber fabric from the stash as well. 

I laid the cotton over the microfiber and then used my long quilting ruler to mark a rectangle with square corners. 

I then sewed those together leaving a small area to turn it around.

I then turned it inside out and ironed it flat.

I stitched a seam very close to edge to close the opening I used to turn it around and it finishes off the edges nicely.

I had gone a while back to purchase twist pins to keep the arm rest covers in place.

I dug out 2 of them and tacked the head rest cover in place.




I am very happy with the final results of this several day and 3 piece project.

I have 3 pieces that can easily be washed and kept clean.  This will keep my chair clean as well.



I will be working on the remote control holder.  I think it will be over the arm rest


I will keep you posted.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.