Saturday, December 23, 2023

Sylvia's Simple Shots

On the 3rd Sunday of Advent we light the JOY candle.

We have anticipated much and the end is near.  We are so filled with joy for the coming of the one who is Emmanuel - God with us.






I found this video this week and thought of my sister who does slow stitching regularly.

Stitch Meditation Scrolls by K3N presents several scrolls of a variety of sizes.

My sister and had a bit of a conversation about the concept.

Once Upon a Day by Lisa Tucker is a book I finished reading this week. 

Very bizarre story line where a man isolates his children from the time they are around 4 until they leave in their twenties.  No TV, no internet, limited amount of books, no socialization with others.  Groceries are regularly delivered to the large beautiful house. Father goes to town occasionally, the doctor comes when absolutely necessary, and that is how life is.  Dorothea and Jimmy know no better. Father says this is for their protection.

Jimmy just walks away one day believing that there is more than Father says out there.  He writes but then Father gets really sick and refuses hospital. Dorothea decides she must find Jimmy before their father dies. 

We do see the world according to their mother Lucy who has no idea where they are.  Has searched for years to find them to no avail.  Tragedy was part of her life and she found her husband's "protection" suffocating. She exerted control on her life with very sad results and the loss of her children. 

Eventually, the father facilitates the reunion of the children with their mother and all three come to the father's rescue.  The father gets the medical care he needs.  Is there hope for this family?

My friend, her partner and I attended this Christmas concert this week.  Her and I had attended 2 or 3 before the pandemic and it was now being held again.

It is just as one would expect from a Christmas concert, the children choirs, the adult choirs, several soloists, and beautiful music.

It was held in the community center which was quite full. In years past, it was held in the church which burned down a while ago.  It is being rebuilt and should be open for Christmas 2025!

It was nice to attend with friends.


After my discussion about slow stitch scrolls with my sister earlier this week and had the thought maybe I could make one.

I had filled the page in my organizer about the upcoming shows for 2024 and one is a 3D show.  It has\d been discussed at the reception of the Value of Color show. I called the gallery and got clarification about the brief and it should be a recycled/reused project.  It should be 3D but could be 2D with texture.

I checked out the spool bin and found a large spool that would do nicely.  I ripped a piece of cotton 3 inches wide which had been tie-dyed and added green color with permanent acrylic liquid ink.  It looks quite like a garden now.

I went to the ReUse center and brought home bits and bobs that may contribute to the end product.  Still mulling over the options in my mind. Check back later.
I did pick up my items from the gallery on the last day of the Christmas Store.  I was disappointed that some items did not sell at all.  No photo cards, linen coasters, or count down calendars sold.

The One of a Kind oil diffusers did not sell as well as last year.

My Tree Scent Ornaments did well again this year and I did sell some Sticky Note Holders.

There will have to be a total rethink about it for next year.  

Will I put anything into the store next year? 

If I do, what new and wonderful thing will I create?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.