Saturday, March 3, 2018

Viral Time Out

I have received a viral time out.  I have been sick in bed and couch for 10 days.  A visit to the doctor confirmed that I did not have a sinus infection or lung infection and as this is likely a viral infection no medication will be prescribed.

The doctor confirmed that I will likely be miserable but should I be worse in a week come back.  I can tell you I was not impressed.

I spent nights not able to sleep in my bed because when I laid down I coughed like crazy.  I tried all kinds of solutions.

I drank a lot of water and ginger lemon hot tea helped with the very  sore throat.   I was fortunate to have Olympics to watch, and a couple of books to read.

I have turned the corner and know that I will be well soon.

This book takes place in Greece and fills some of the stories I have read about in other books.

In a Greek taverna, high over the small village of Aghia Anna, four people meet for the first time: Fiona, an Irish nurse, Thomas, a Californian academic; Elsa, a German television presenter; and David a shy English boy. Along with Andreas, the old man who runs the taverna, they become close to each other after witnessing a tragedy when a pleasure steamer catches fire in the harbour.

NIGHTS OF RAIN AND STARS is the story of one summer when Fiona, Thomas, Elsa and David all have to face the particular life crisis which first made them leave their homes and end up in Greece. With the help of Vonni, a middle-aged Irishwoman who lives in the village and is now a near native, they each find a solution - although not necessarily the one they anticipated...

Ella Brady wants to film a documentary about Quentins that will capture the spirit of Dublin from the 1970s to the present day. After all, the restaurant saw the people of a city become more confident in everything from their lifestyles to the food that they chose to eat. And Quentins has a thousand stories to tell. But as Ella uncovers more of what has gone on at Quentins, she begins to wonder whether some secrets should be kept that way...

Every table at Quentins Restaurant has a thousand stories to tell: tales of love, betrayal and revenge. Ella Brady wants to make a documentary about the renowned Dublin restaurant that has captured the spirit of a generation and a city in the years it has been open.

In Maeve Binchy’s magical Quentins you will meet new friends and old: the twins from Scarlet Feather, the Signora from Evening Class, Ria from Tara Road – and a host of fresh faces. There is Monica, the ever-cheerful Australian waitress, and Blouse Brennan, whose simplicity disguises a sharp mind and a heart of gold. Presiding over Quentins are Patrick and Brenda Brennan, who have made the restaurant such a legend. But even they have a story and a sadness which is hidden from the public gaze. As Ella uncovers more of what has gone on, she wonders about the wisdom of bringing it to the screen. Should the restaurant keep its secrets?

I found the Olympics in 2018 in PyeongChang to be really wonderful.  I watched curling, snowboarding, skiing, ice dance and bob sledding.  There was not a lot of politics, issues, and problems in this set of Olympics.

I loved the technology in the ceremonies.  It was amazing.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you've been sick, Sylvia. I'm glad you had very good books and the Olympics to help you through. I watched a lot of the Olympics, too -- I have such admiration for these athletes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that you caught the nasty bug going around. Maybe it's because of the timezone difference, but I missed most of the Olympics this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you are on the mend ... a viral infection versus a bacterial is challenging when all we can do is wait it out! Sounds like you made the most of your enforced break. Yes, I thought the blend of old traditions and new technologies was very well executed in both the opening and the closing ceremonies, and in keeping with the culture of the country. Have a healthy(ier) week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you've been so ill, Sylvia. Sounds like a bad bout of influenza. I watched bits of the Olympics and thought they were good. The technology was very impressive. Take care not to overdo things as you begin to improve.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.