Friday, August 10, 2018

Harvesting and Preserving

My sister and I had a conversation about chutney. She had received some yummy plum chutney from a friend and we decided to get together and see what we could make.  After some research on the web I decided on an Apricot Ginger Raisin Chutney and she decided on a Black Currant Chutney.  This is my chutney in the pot while it cooked down.   Once the right consistency and flavor we put it into jars and processed in hot water bath for 15 minutes.  
I am enjoying mine with cheese and crackers on these hot days of +30C temperatures.  I chose to put cranberries and dark raisins in mine instead of golden raisins.  I think I will go with golden raisins next time so it gives it more of a warm look and cut back on them as well.  I loved the taste before processing but I am finding it a bit too sweet and not enough punch from the cider vinegar eating it a few weeks after processing.  I am appreciating putting away my own food rather than depending on stores for over sweet and over processed condiments.  With the abundance of fruit at this time of year it is ideal to put some summer in a jar for winter.
With no more access to Mom's great raspberry patch I was wondering if I would get some this year.  A friend with raspberries was going away for the weekend at the end of June and I could have the one day of picking the raspberries if I watered the plants and garden.  I was is in!  With a great hose that reaches everything watering was no big deal.



I picked less than a gallon but I had my fill of eating them fresh and I made Raspberry Bavarian which was one of my favorite things my Mom made.  I have posted the recipe before in this post.  I got 8 servings by doubling the recipe and I have enjoyed it as a treat for at least week.  Perfect!






On July 24th my sister and I visited our favorite Saskatoon u-pick farm for our yearly picking. We picked later in the day around 4:30 pm.  Some trees were completely ripe and the picking was great!


I picked 3 gallons. After cleaning I froze 5 bags of  fruit which will taste great on my breakfast during the winter months.  I also brought some home fresh to eat for the week.  Yummy in my tummy.



Sharing with Share Your Cup #301 hosted my Jann at Daily Cup with Mrs. Olson.

4 comments:

  1. Look at all you accomplished, Sylvia!!! I made Raspberry Jam yesterday, because I had opened my last jar. Looks like you're set for the winter! I'm off to visit your Bavarian recipe........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your chutney looks yummy. This is the time of year to preserve food. I made some peach-blackberry jam, a few jars of beet pickles, and some applesauce. This week there will be green beans to blanche and freeze. I love going to the pantry or freezer when nothing grows in the garden and pull out something that I've prepared ahead.

    No Saskatoons here, but lots of blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Put some summer in a jar" - what a delightful turn of phrase. On Thursday, we were invited to a summer picnic, and one of the ladies had prepared a raspberry dessert, with additional fresh berries for a topping. With a touch of vanilla ice cream, it was a small slice of heaven. All the berries were picked from her own plants, and she showed us several pictures of all the berries she has been canning. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been busy. I do a bit of canning in the fall, but have never tried chutney. I absolutely love raspberries! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.