Monday, August 24, 2020

Sylvia's Simple Shots

The Sunflowers in the neighborhood and community garden are getting really nice.

They are my favorite flower and I have to wait all summer for them to produce gorgeous flowers.

I see that I captured a bee in this shot as well. Wonderful!

I found out one of the mazes in the area have opened their cut your own sunflower area. For a $ a bloom you can bring some home.  What a great idea!  The season is almost over and they will be letting them go or cutting them down themselves.  People enjoy them, the farm gets bit more cash and there is less to manage! Win Win.

I tried a new recipe this week which is Lemon Vinaigrette which is super delicious.   

Here I have put it on my carrot salad and my fried basa fillets.









A terrific wholesome story which I finished this week.  An Irish Country Girl by Patrick Taylor.  A story of how Maureen O'Hanlan became Kinky Kincaid.  

Kinky is the housekeeper for a group of medical doctors in the north of Ireland.  She has been there for 40 years but this is the story of how she came to be Ballybucklebo.

A bit of fairy stories and having the eyesight to see what may come to pass.  Ambition to be a teacher, willingness to stick with her plan despite a man saying she could not work after marriage, and a desire to travel the world.  

She is open to love with the "right" man. With older brothers there a few guys in the running.  

I guess I love Ireland after reading all the Maeve Binchy books. 

I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it.

I visited a new wetlands area on Telford Lake this week.  Someone on my Instagram @smdpics100 had been and I was inspired to go as well. 

I found this juvenile American Robin singing to her hearts content. I have been fascinated with their interesting coloring.  I have never notice this before but I have seen many this year.

I have to confess that I have done a switcheroo on the sky.  The original was very plain and quite uninteresting. On the same day I had captured the sky with incoming plane as this lake is close to the airport.  I removed the plain sky and added this bit of cloud.

Love it!

The Flickr Macro Monday challenge this week was "glass".  There so many options to stay within the 3" rules that I was overwhelmed with choice. Glass is not always the easiest to photograph with reflections, etc.

I chose shots of my Kaleidoscope for the mosaic because it was a little too large for the challenge but I love it!

There are 2 copper encased wheels top left and bottom right to produce a wide array of images through the eye piece which is the top right photo. One of the images I captured through the eye piece of yellows and blues angles.

You can check out my Flickr Photostream SMDPics to see the image I submitted for the challenge.

This image was glass head straight pins.  I have quite a few and thought this will be easy.  Turns out I have plastic balls at the end of most of my straight pins. Five is all I found that were actual glass.  The wonders of making things for cheaper. 

I am sharing with Mersad at Through My Lens #254

  

6 comments:

  1. Sunflowers are my favorite too! And I love my Kaleidoscope collection, so lots of joy here ! Oh and the salad dressing sounds wonderful ...I’ve been working on expanding my dressing and sauce repertoire instead of store-bought. So really thank you for everything in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful and interesting post. I love the idea of that book and your lemon vinaigrette looks fabulous, as does your plate! I have a very soft spot for sunflowers. (I wonder who doesn't?) That's a beautiful photo. I hope all is well for you, Sylvia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just finished two Irish Country books by Patrick Taylor and will be looking for more of them. Charming stories. I looked up the author and he has immigrated to Salt Spring Island of all places, very different from Ireland!
    Sunflowers are wonderful flowers and how great to capture a bee in one in your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also like sunflowers, Sylvia. There are large sunflower fields near Denver International Airport that many photographers go to to take photos every year and they get stunning photos of them at sunrise or sunset.
    "An Irish Country Girl" novel sounds charming. I've visited Ireland many times- both the north and the republic, and blogged about it a few times over the years It is such a beautiful country! One of my sister-in-laws was born in County Cork and I;ve visited with her family and kissed the Blarney stone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so enjoy the Irish Country books by Patrick Taylor, the Christmas one being a particular favourite. Love your sunflower photo. And the lemon vinaigrette sounds delicious.

    Wishing you a beautiful day,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.