Saturday, February 1, 2014

Christmas Card Challenge - Feb - Christmas Animals

This month's challenge is Christmas Animals.  Reindeer, cardinal, polar bear, penguin, dove, camels, sheep, partridge, geese, deer, and chickadees would all qualify.  Which one will you choose? Leave me a comment.

I chose a cardinal.  I bought the stickers after Christmas knowing I had this challenge coming up.  I cut a piece of light green card stock with Spellbinders Nestabilities Labels Thirteen onto which I applied the cardinal sticker. I cut the next size up in dark brown card stock which matched the card color.  I cut a Fancy Pants Designs - Christmas Magic - Bough of Holly paper leaving a border all the way around and adhered it to the card front.  I colored printed my greeting on the same light green card stock, flagged the ends and applied a red ink pad to the edges.  Both of these elements are adhered to the card front with 3D foam tape.

There were 2 smaller stickers in the set and I changed the layout a bit accommodate them. I cut a smaller label in black and mounted the bird on that.  Then a layer of Kiwi Kiss and then a layer of ivory.  It was too stark so I applied some Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Antique Linen to tone it down just a bit.  I found some designer paper that I have used before which worked well.  I punched a Stampin Up! Modern Label punchie in black and found SU Word Window greetings which worked well.  I chose a black card to coordinate with the layer that the cardinal is on onto which I adhered the designer background paper. Again both elements are mounted onto the card front with 3D foam tape.

I've submitted this card to Hazel's Christmas Challenge - Anything Goes

6 comments:

  1. Both are beautiful Sylvia! I always enjoy using red and green on my Christmas cards, and the die cut shape is lovely. These would be on my to CASE list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! We both used cardinals for our animal cards!! Here is my card:

    http://www.tmalakart.blogspot.ca/2014/01/quilted-nature-christmas-cards.html

    Therese
    www.tmalakart.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those 3D cardinal stickers look wonderful on your cards.I have always wanted to see a cardinal IRL! Such a striking bird!
    Lovely card and thank you for joining us this month, at Craftyhazelnut's Christmas Challenge Extra.
    Maureen aka Scrappymo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for entering this lovely card for my CHNC challenge extra for February (please put a link within your blogpost - thanks - hope to see you again soon x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely cardinal themed cards. Thanks for making a start on your Christmas cards and joining in with the challenge at CHNC Extra for February.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for adding the link for CHNC challenge extra for February x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.