Wednesday, November 6, 2019

A Few Renovations - Done!

Since my renovation in the kitchen a couple of years ago I had flooring and painting on my to do list.

I knew how having things white and light improved the feel of the space.  I replaced the burgundy shower curtain in the bathroom about 4 years ago and that helped so much.  In 2017, I painted the center panels of the kitchen cupboards which improved the feel in the space.

The front hall bypass closet doors and the bi-fold doors on the laundry area had wood grain similar to the kitchen cupboard doors.  The large bedroom closet doors as well had the same pattern.  I really wanted to paint these.

Well, this fall was the time! I started with the laundry area bi-fold doors.  I had to mask the metal frame then I applied 1 coat of high hide primer followed with 2 coats of interior paint.

I changed the knobs on the doors with something more appropriate. I chose white ceramic with a metal plate.

The next project was the bypass doors on the front hall closet.  Again, a lot of masking of the metal frames.  I chose to paint them hanging in place as I was not sure I could take down the doors.  These received 3 coats of paint as well.

As you can imagine my right arm got a huge work out.  Painting makes a big difference which many DIY shows spout the principle and now I know it first hand.

The bedroom closet doors are twice the size of the front hall so it was double the amount of 3 coats of paint.

I replaced a broken plastic glider one of these bedroom closet doors which has wobbled for years.  Yeah!

I have wanted hard flooring in the front hall for several years.  In recent years I was convinced vinyl flooring was the answer.  I chose this flooring from Divine Flooring.  I wanted a warm grey color in a wood grain pattern in vinyl planks. After visiting the show room I took 3 samples home.  I put natural LED lights in the front hall and chose the flooring based on that lighting.  The hall gets very little natural light. This is is called Missouri Breaks from the Voyage II line.  The planks are 8.5 inches wide and 5 feet long.  This is a click installation.

I chose a very simple moulding which is 3/8 by 1 1/4 inches tall.  It was painted the color of the walls.  It was glued to the wall which allows the flooring to move as it needs.  The crack at the top along the wall was caulked and then I painted white with a small foam brush and the wall paint.   The flooring and moulding was installed by professionals. It looks amazing.

There are a couple of pieces I want to paint in the front hall.  The small bench at the front door which my Mom made for me years ago will be painted as well as the mirror also made by my Mom will get a new color.  I want to create an art shelf in the living room so that has been put on the to do list.

I am looking at a warm dark grey with a blue hue.  I brought a few paint samples and need another couple before I decide.

I hung some of my framed photography in the hall.  I have decided that I will be using this about 4 square foot place in the front hall as my photography studio.  Nothing will live in the space on a regular basis.  I can add tables, props, fabric and whatever else I need, set up my tripod from either direction, it has good light which will contribute to a super space.  I take macro photography regularly for the Macro Monday Challenge on Flickr.  You can check my photo stream.

There were changes made in the bathroom as well.  I covered the hole made in the wall behind the vanity by the plumbers in January.
I bought a 24x24 inch piece of dry wall, measured to make the holes for the isolation valves and screwed the pieces to the existing dry wall.

After being able to replace the sink without changing the vanity in January the doors on it were on the paint list as well.  Again, 1 coat of high hide primer and 2 coats of interior paint.You can check out the white shower curtain mentioned earlier.

I added a Battenburg linen and a wide low glass bowl on the shelf in the front hall.  I have put turquoise related potpourri for now.  Once the mirror is painted that may change and it could be changed seasonally as well.   I am looking forward to putting my small nativity on the shelf for Christmas time.

It has been a huge learning experience. I'm really happy with this renovation!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sylvia - my arms are tired just reading your post. Congratulations to you for taking on these projects and completing most of them totally on your own. Inspiring! Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.