Monday, June 15, 2020

Sylvia's Simple Shots

I found American Coot babies at the Heritage Hills Wetlands yesterday!  They are so hilarious!

They have huge colors in red and yellow.  Then that fuzzy hairdo just makes me smile!   I thought I had missed the babies but like most things this year a little late.

The mother was collecting vegetation from below the water and feeding them one at a time.  There were 3 little babies!

There were a couple of White Pelicans too!  They were eating - dip their beaks in and swallow. Up and down which made getting good photos tough.  These look a little scruffy.


















Yes, Mama by Helen Forrester was a good book.  The story of Alicia Woodman, a blonde blue eyed little girl growing up in a house with dark haired parents.  Put into the care of a nanny, Polly Ford who has lost a husband and a baby, to ensure she does not incur the wrath of her father or see the indifference of her mother.  It was a win for the nanny as now she had a room, food, clean clothes, and a bit of a wage.  The child was loved and cared for.  There is quite a bit of insanity before it concludes with a wonderful end.

I am diving head first into this DIY hair cutting trend due to COVID 19.  I have cut it once but it was a desperate big trim basically.

I decided that I needed some proper tools to do the job well going forward.  I have someone I know that gets hers cut with a No.1 comb on a hair trimmer.  I was not quite ready for that but it looked really good on her.

I was late to the game so I had to wait a while for the trimmers to be in stock again at my local drug store.

I needed a hair cutting cape.  I started with a dollar store tablecloth.  I sewed it to a piece of deep yellow fabric with navy seam binding.  I did the full outside edge. Then I cut the key hole in the back and added the seam binding around that creating the ties at the same time.  I made the front longer so I can tack it to the metal sink with magnets to catch the hair which will help with clean up.

Now I needed a mirror behind me to help me see what I was doing.

I had a full length mirror that I could hang on the bathroom door.  I used some copper wire and ran it through the holes in the top corners.  I made curly cues on the front.

I adjusted the length of the wire by twisting to shorten until it was at a good height.  It needed to be at an angle so I put a roll of TP behind to create the angle I needed.  Perfect.  The photo you see is the long hair version from a few days ago.

I did watch several YouTube videos before I took the plunge this morning.  I am pretty happy with the final results.



The Flickr Macro Monday Challenge for this week is "Label".  You can check my Flickr Photostream - SMDPics for the one I submitted.

Of course, there is a plethora of labels in our lives.  Some are stuck on, some are tied on, and some part of the object they label.

This is the metal label on my stainless steel turquoise necklace and chain.  If you look close you can see it engraved on the lobster claw clasp as well.

I am sharing with Angie who hosts Mosaic Monday #84 and Mersad who hosts Through My Lens #244.

4 comments:

  1. It's amazing what we can learn to do ourselves when it becomes necessary! Keep staying safe and having fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hair cut came out great! Mine is getting so long and FLAT! But I've been keeping my bangs cut at least. I love the Turquoise...what a beautiful stone! AND that fuzzy duckling is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a good job. I used to cut everyones hair when the kids were still at home---until they had their own money that is. I always cut hubbys hair until he had almost no hair left. HAHA
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sylvia - you are a braver woman than I. I cannot imagine attempting to cut my own hair! But where is the "after" picture? Are you keeping us in suspense? Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.