Saturday, February 4, 2023

Sewing Project - ReUsable Shopping Bag

I've had several discussions with my sister about making reusable shopping bags now that single use plastic ones are not being handed out.  I have 5-7 grocery bags that I have used for years.  Those are the large boxed corner ones.  The original ones I bought are very good quality has have had to be sewn back together several times.

The more recent reusable bags are not made of such durable fabric and some of those have had significant reinforcements to keep them in service.

I decided to search the web for some DIY reusable shopping bags.  An organization she is volunteering with is considering give out reusable bags instead of the blue recycle bags they have used in the past.  With that goal in mind I thought I would give my hand to a bag and see how it went.  

I had purchased a really good quality microfiber sheet - double a while back which did not get used the way I planned so it was still sitting in the "to be used" fabric pile.  I thought that would work well for this project. 

There are many video tutorials on you tube so I check out quite a few until I found one that made sense to me.

This is the video I chose to follow: DIY Eco Shopping Bag is based on a plastic shopping bag. As you can see I used a Walmart bag as a very basic pattern.

We were hoping to be able to add a pouch to store the bag when not in use.  This bag as too substantial to act like a rip stop nylon one. 

I added the band on the front where I can fold the top up and tuck it in then fold the handles then another fold and tuck this layer on top of the previous one.  Pretty bulky to really store.  It is a gorgeous bag and will hold a lot and last a long time. I was grateful to have this thin striped cotton to lessen the weight.

I think the next ones I make with be a single layer with bias tape on the handles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.