Friday, February 17, 2023

Sewing Project - Shorter Bags

I got a California King Pillowcase in my $1 bin sale at the thrift store the other day.  These are much longer than the standard pillowcase hence more fabric.

The length of the fabric when the band is removed and then folded in half was 40 inches rather than my regular 44 inches for my standard bag.  But I get 2 bags for the price of one.

I used a bias binding left over from a quilt I made a long time ago.  There was only enough for the neck of the bag. I had been thinking of rolled hems for these bags and had done some practicing with my rolled hem foot for the sewing machine. 

I decided to try it on this bag because I really did not have any other bias tape that would match.  It went pretty well.  I have the top and side seam that I have to put through the roller so that was challenging.  Just keeping the fabric pulled to the left all the time to have enough fabric to roll is also needs constant attention.  But going slow and being careful it works quite well.  I will get better at it as I go along. 

I chose a burgundyish button and a black elastic which I cut to 6" because this bag was going to be a smaller roll than my previous ones.

The button is a good color match.  Great to keep with the grey thread.

Total height of the bag is 20" the height of the bag itself is 13" and the width is 19.5 inches.


The side edges had to be straightened and trimmed so that did take a bit off the width. There a fold in the bottom for strength.  The seams are all enclosed so there are no raw edges on the inside of the bag.

I decided to redo the hems on the handles of this bag because too many places along the hem it had not rolled over properly.  


I am not sure if it is practice but I will try some more hems on scraps and see how it goes.

I was to visit my sister on Saturday and she gave me some bias tape that would so the 2 handles.
So now the bag will be acceptable for donation.

This is the second short bag made with the California King pillowcase.


I chose Hunter green bias tape this time.  I have some very old packages with prices like 95 cents but this one is quite new at $2.45.  Currently, they are $3.30 each which does one bag with a bit leftover.  That is quite a bit for each bag. I would like to find something more neutral and less costly.

It is easy to mark the center of the bag to align the elastic and the button.

Fold the bag in half and just press the center with the iron.  It can easily be ironed out when you are finished.

The button came from my sisters as well.  Again, going with neutral would help with things a bit.  She gave a couple of clear buttons that come off duvet covers. They will work with any color bag.

The narrow elastic is 6" long and I did remember to sew it in when I put the bias tape this time instead of doing it afterwards.  Good Job!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.