Sunday, November 13, 2022

1 Cup Measure - Upgrade?










I was looking for a new 1 cup glass measuring cup because the writing on my is disappearing.  Now I always use the imperial measure because that is what I learned in school. In Canada, we officially converted to metric in 1976. 










I've been looking for a while so when I found one at the Thrift Store on Friday I picked it up for $3.00. The numbers are red, they are easy to read and it turns out to be the same brand that I have, GREAT!

Well upon closer examination, maybe not. What are the differences?


Well, the thrift store one is thinner, it has a D-Handle instead of an open handle, the marking on the metric side only got to 200ml which is not 1 cup. 

I had upgraded years ago to to the open handle so that I could stack all my glass measuring cups inside each other.  Since then I have changed how I store my measuring cups and I kept the 1 cup measure closer at hand and put my Tupperware measuring cups on top as these are the ones I use the most.  So, going back to a D Handle is not big deal. Lucky Break!

Since I always use imperial measures the fact that this side does not include the 250 ml measure for a full cup again is another Lucky Break!

I was not able to establish when Fire King introduced the open handle but Pyrex started their in 1983. 

I see that the thrift store one is thinner glass as well so I'm not sure it was an upgrade. A new Fire King Open Handle 1 cup measuring cup costs $5.99 CDN. Not sure it was an upgrade.

Who knew that things could be so complicated.  At least I can read the numbers.  I expect these numbers will last for as long as I need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.