Saturday, March 11, 2023

Sewing Project - ReUsable Bags - Pillowcases

I bought a couple more of those $1 pillowcases the other day at the thrift store.

I liked the pattern on this one with the warm green and the brown polka dots.

I found a roll of fabric tape at the ReUse Ctr last time I was there and it seems it was bias tape.  Well imagine my luck. It was brown which is what I needed for this bag. It does need to be ironed and folded but I guess that is the cost of getting it.  I understand there is a thing a ma jig that will fold it for you as you iron along.

This was a standard pillowcase with no header band. Polyester fabric.

Measurements: 25 inches T overall, 19 inches W and the bag is 18 inches deep.

Brown bias tape, brown button and black elastic.

Nice to have a bit of variety in the colors and patterns.







This bag was made with a King size pillowcase of good quality micro fiber.  I did cut off a decent amount (about 8 inches) off the top to keep the fold bottom. Nice weight to the fabric in this bag. 

It was a nice purply blue so I paired it with a leaf green bias tape.

Measurements: 25 inches T overall, 20 inches W and the bag is 18 inches deep.


I found a nice button to match the blue color. 

This fabric came from a pillow sham type piece. I like the pattern so I bought it.  It was polyester though so static was quite a problem.

I had to sew all the seams on this one and I got the sides seams wrong.  To make enclosed seams you have to make your first seam right sides out which is counter intuitive. Well, I was saved by the serger!  Yeh Yeh!  I just serged the seams on the inside of the bag just like they would have been inside a pillow case. 

The back is black and had been a fold closure so I had to sew those 2 piece together to get a full back for the bag. 

This bag is quite squat so it is wider than the others I made.  It ended up wider because of the serging of the seams instead of enclosing them. 

Measurements: 25 inches T overall, 23 inches W and 17.5 inches deep for the bag itself.

I paired it with black bias tape, black elastic and a purple button.  I needed a bit more bias tape because of the extra width but I had enough in the 3 yard package.

I love the zebra print on this bag. 

It takes a bit of extra attention when folding at it is that bit wider.

I am bored with  making these so I am taking a break and moving onto other sewing projects.

Lessons Learned:
- Microfiber is very nice for these bags but I have not found any that was patterned.  
- Bias Tape to buy new would make this project not cost effective for selling.
- Polyester fabric was mostly patterned but very easy to ravel. 
- Pillowcases are by far make these a breeze to make because the side and bottom are already done. If you can get them for a good price it is the way to go.
- If you don't have a collection of buttons choose clear button which will go with any color and pattern.
- I am really happy with how the grey thread seems to work well with the colors and patterns.
- The pattern from Fabric Patch worked really well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.