Saturday, July 13, 2013

Card - Sunburst Two - Scrap Buster

Here's my second Sunburst card.  I'm really happy with it.  I chose to put the focal point in the center this time which means rays all the way around.  I should have adjusted my paper strips to 3" x 1" but this worked out pretty well. Live and learn.  Here's a link to Frances' great tutorial for this technique.
I cut my paper strips then cut them diagonally from corner to corner giving me triangles.  I kept my designer paper in the yellow and pink colors.  I cut my piece of card stock for holding the sunburst at 4x5.25 inches.  I think its best to start with a bit bigger and trim it later.  Layout your triangles before you start gluing so you can balance color and texture. I marked my focal point.  I started at the top and then just placed each right next to to the other.  Do your best to keep your points on it but don't sweat it too much because it will be covered.  I used snail adhesive because the excess rolls off very nicely with your adhesive eraser.  Once I had glued all my triangles then I turned over the piece of card stock and trimmed off the designer paper to the edge of the rectangle.  I decided to add a black layer so I trimmed my sunburst a bit more.  I added the pink grosgrain ribbon across the center covering the focal point and taped the ends to the back. This layer was glued to the black layer then glued to the card front.  I stamped the birthday cake in black with a small clear stamp on yellow card stock then punched it out with the Stampin Up! Artisan Label punch.  I highlighted the edges by running a black marker along the edges. It was mounted over the focal point and over the ribbon with 3D foam tape.  I did the same to the greeting punched with the SU! Word Window punch. I mounted it in the bottom right hand corner. This is definitely a scrap buster technique. Love it!

1 comment:

  1. I am reading your blog backwards and getting great ideas for cards.

    Love this card you showed.

    I just retired from teaching middle school. Every school year I did a fundraiser for my programs by making cards all summer and having the kids sell them at Back to School Night. I planned to do the same for my replacement, but I haven't been working on cards yet. You reminded me to get busy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.