Monday, July 1, 2013

Long Weekend - Bird Pictures

I was out to visit my sister at her new home. We were out for a walk late one evening and I got these photos.  The light was fading fast and I was being eaten alive by mosquitoes.  This trail is around a small lake and I was very happy with the wide variety of birds I saw. We were out for 1.5 hours including time to take pics.

The next day we headed on a photo trip to Gull Lake and Sylvan Lake.  We found gulls and white pelicans. I finally got a good picture of white pelicans.  These don't have the large bump. During the breeding season, both males and females develop a 3 inch by 3 inch (7.6 by 7.6 cm) bump on the top of their large beak. This conspicuous growth, which evidently indicates the bird's interest in breeding, is shed by the end of the breeding season. 
The day was great and we hit Boston Pizza for supper at the end of the day.
I will quite a few good pictures for my Photo Calendar this year. Check my calendar page for  the 2014 Calendar coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.