Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Sewing Project - Quilt 4 - Fish Strips

I have finished another quilt.  I wanted to try a QAYG strip quilt which has less stitching as there is no top stitching in this one.

This one is larger coming in at 41 inches wide and 67 inches tall.

I used a piece of fish fabric cotton as the pattern in this quilt.  I added solids in yellow, brown and black fabric. I cut 4", 3.5" and 2.5" strips.

The back is a really soft fabric but I don't know the fiber content. It seemed a shame to cut it into squares so it was a strip quilt.

I added a layer of cotton polyester white fabric as the "batting" in this quilt. I started by pinning the batting to the wrong side of the back.

I started in the center and continued to add strips then iron them over and continued the process till I got to the one edge.  I then switched and went in the other direction from the center.  It is just a series of 14 very long seams. Once the strips were in place I then squared the quilt with my rulers.  I stitched all the way around about 1/8 in from the edge.

The bulk of the quilt was a challenge for the small throat of my sewing machine.  I rolled the quilt to get it through the throat and the length created a large pile behind the machine.

This will make a nice quilt for a boy.

My niece gave me this great piece of fabric from a stash she had been given.  Thanks so much.

This quilt took less time than my regular quilts made with 9.5 inch squares.  I chose grey thread so it would blend with the back.  I added a 2.5 inch binding in black fabric sewed with black thread.
You can check binding tips here.

1 comment:

  1. Sylvia - wow, that did not take you long! I like the modern look of this quilt with the bold stripes. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.