Thursday, September 26, 2019

Sewing Project - Quilt 5 - True Blue & Floral

I completed another quilt today.  When I go to quilting on Mondays and cut squares then I want to get the rest finished.  I can't really keep up this pace.  We will have a 3 week break coming up.

Final Size: 40" Wide x 49" Tall.

Fabric:
Cotton fabric which I bought at the Grandma Africa sale last year.  The True Blue solid worked really well with the cool floral.   I had 1/2 yard of each.  I had to piece 4 squares to get the 10 of each I needed. The back and sashing areTaupe 100% cotton.

Squares:
I cut 10" squares for this one to make it a bit bigger.

Quilting: I sewed the front of each column adding the taupe sashing in the right places.   More about that a little later.  I then placed it on the batting and backer and quilted each square on the diagonal corner to corner.  Once quilted, I cut the other layers to the size of the front.

I almost got all the sashing right but forgot one on column three and only discovered it then I was starting to put the columns together so I had to do some ripping out.  I added the sash between the squares where it belong but now my batting and back were short.  I had to add a strip to both.
I also put one column on backwards and had to rip it out and put it right. There were some distractions going on so my concentration was broken. 

Binding:  I cut binding 2.5 inches wide and 190 inches long from the taupe solid. This time I sewed it to the back and pull it forward and top stiched on the front.  Not sure I would do that again.  Check out the tutorial here.

Column Assembly: I used the Quilt As You Go method to assemble the 4 columns together.  You can check the tutorial here.

My take away from this quilt: 
  • Love the colors!
  • Quilting in columns takes less time and make the quilt softer
  • I used a straight stitch for the tacking down of the sashing instead of the zigzag which was OK
  • The quilting pattern did leave long areas with no quilting so maybe not the best.
  • Quilting and sashing when things have to be in a particular order is challenging.  I did mix up the columns.  It looks good but not as I had planned.
  • Binding should be sewed to the front and brought to the back.



1 comment:

  1. Quilts are definitely works of art! I love the colors and pretty fabric in this one! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.