Monday, April 29, 2024

Sewing Project - Picnic Placemats - Yellow Purple

I started working out my process for making picnic placements with a zipper pocket to hold a napkin and the cutlery. 

I cut the fabric 12 x 18 inches for both the yellow front fabric and the grey back fabric.

I created the pocket like my zipper inserts with the addition of tabs at each end of the zipper so there is no holes for things to fall out.  I inserted the pocket between the 2 layers with rights sides together.  I made some white ties which I placed at the opposite end of the pocket in between the layers.  I then ran a 1/4 inch seam all the way around leaving a space to turn the piece inside out.  

Once turned inside out, I ran a line of decorative wavy stitch to close off the left hand side of the pocket and then added 2 more lines of wavy stitching to hold the layers together.  I added purple tabs to the ends of  the ties to finish off the ends. 

The pocket can hold your cutlery and a napkin.

Notes: 

My ties could be thinner and longer. 

I like that this method does not introduce a third color to the mat.

It is quite thin but would do the job to give you a clean place to eat your lunch at the park.

My tab on the left of the zipper could be narrower.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.