Monday, April 8, 2024

Sewing Project - Wine Bottle Bag - Updated

When I visited my sister a while back we worked on a wine bottle bag design.

I brought the pieces to make one as we ran out of time to finish one for me.

We had decided to add some height to the bag so we could have 1.5 inches in the top band where we were top stitching. This would add strength and a bit of stifness.

The one on the left was the one I brought home so I cut the outer fabric and added the 1.5 inch blue strip.  That meant I had to add some to the lining as well.  We decided to leave the flannel so it would only reach the top of the bag with out being folded over in the seam.

Learning is challenging. I did add the pieces I needed but failed to remember to put the flannel in and to make the top seam 1.25 inches so there would be extra fabric in the top edge. You can see that it is higher than the other one. Made on Sunday.

The one on the left is the one I made on today which incorporated all the things we planned.  A cotton outer fabric, a flannel layer shorter than the cotton, and a poly-cotton lining the same size as the outer fabric.  The fabric measures 15.5" tall by 12.5" wide. Flannel is 14" T x 12.5" wide.

I quilted the flannel to the diagonal patterned fabric along those lines in black thread. Then I made the box corners on the outer and lining fabrics.  Then made the strap.  Pinned the strap first to ensure it was right with the same side facing the outer, that they were on the sides with the seam at the back, and that they were aligned with the edge of the fabric. I then added the lining ensuring that the box corners were sitting opposite the ones on the outer fabric.  I sewed the seam 1.25 inches wide along the top leaving a opening to turn everything inside out. 

Once the lining is pushed into the bag and aligned, then pressing the top edge flat I sewed the 2 top stitching seams. One really close to the edge to close the opening.  The other to capture the handles a second time to ensure strength.

Note: Maybe a bit of trimming of the flannel in the box corners would help balance out the bottom. They stand on their own without a bottle inside.

Updated:  I redid the one on the right to include flannel, the 1.5 inch top stitched edge and an accent on the blue strip.

I have added the accent for number 2 so this set is finally completed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.