Monday, March 23, 2020

Sewing Project - Quilt 8 - Green Polka Dots

I finished another small quilt today.  Doing my part, staying apart gives me a lot of time for hobbies.

I have been a fan of sashing between squares but on this one I went into a completely different direction.  I cut rectangular pieces and sewed the pieces next to each other.

Finished Size: 41.5" x 45.25" T

Front: Green Polka Dots ranged from small to very large across the fabric.

Rectangular pieces: 9.5" W x 5.0" T inches

Accents: Bright green 4.0" W x 5.0" T   & Dark Green 2" W x 5" T

Backing: Green Geometric Fabric  It needed to be pieced from 2 different pieces. I took the opportunity to add a polka dot strip to bring the front to the back.

Batting: Flannelette Sheet
  
Thread: Dark Green for the highlight stitching and binding. White for assembly and quilting

Binding: Same fabric as the front at the large dots end cut to 2 5/8 inches wide. Check out  Fool Proof Quilt Binding video

Binding stitching: Stitch in the ditch.  I pinned very closely and had near perfect capture of the folded edge on the back. Used dark green thread for it to disappear.

Quilting: I chose the Quilt as You Go method across the rows of 5 inches. There is no top stitching on the quilt.  The quilting was done with white thread which works with the light backing.

Lessons Learned: 

Planning of the rows and which direction they were supposed to go would have prevented the dark green strip over 3 rows.  Paying more attention. More math and planning may have produced better results.  I am happy with the overall irregular layout of dot sizes.

I decided I need a few solids in each row to break up the very busy dot pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.