Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Sewing Project - Creating Blocks

I started creating blocks from my slow stitching pieces.  I needed a way to finish these so I can put them into some sort of project when they are complete I will have 52 at the end of the year.

I decided to buy a neutral fabric and headed to the thrift store. See picture below.

I was going to just zigzag them onto the cotton and overnight I came up with a better idea.  What if I used ribbon to finish off the edges? Dipped into my stash of ribbon to see what I had.  I had some gold and ivory organza - too stiff and too see through. Keep looking.  Then I remembered a roll of navy seam binding.  Yeah that will work.

I decided to buy some 100% cotton fabric in the form of the king sized flat sheet. I choose a light grey with some texture in the fabric. I had a cone of thread to match. Wonderful.

I took a bit to figure out how to use the seam binding.  In the end I just folded it in half.  By running the fold along the edge of the sewing machine I could get it to stay folded.  I did enough to get around the slow stitch piece and got started.  

The roll of seam binding I see is viscose which means it is pretty old. Viscose is a natural fabric so that is good as well.

I have owned these roll for about 10 years and you can see that I paid $2 at a thrift store somewhere along the way.  I have used it for card making in those years and there is plenty to finish this project as well.

Very happy I was able to shop my stash.
The edges of the slow stitch pieces are not crisp in most cases so I decided on a decorative stitch with a zag in it to ensure I captured the full edge of the piece. I left an open end before I started stitching and then aligned the folded edge of the seam binding on the outer edge with the open edge toward the middle of the piece. After a little practice I was able to created 90 degree corner folds with decent precision with an applique pin. Once I returned to where I started I cut the incoming end short enough to fit into the end I had left when I started.  Folded the edge over on one of them and pulled them taut and sewed over the overlap. A bit of back stitching done!

I have done the 8 complete slow stitching pieces.

Just thinking they could be used as an accent on a bag or some other sewing project.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.