Saturday, February 3, 2024

Slow Stitching - No. 005 - Hidden Histories - Untold Stories / English Paper Piecing

I am following Kathryn at K3NClothTales who is having a slow stitch challenge this year.

The prompt for week 5 was: Hidden Histories - Untold Stories with English Paper Piecing as the technique.

To be honest the prompt was not speaking to me at all.  I had nothing to write on my piece of paper. 

I did not want to get behind.

So today, I chose a poem called Quiet Moment which is always what my slow stitching is to me.

I cut my hexagon template with my Spellbinder Nestabilities #2. It measures 1 3/8 inches across.  I cut my cardboard then traced it onto some paste paper I made years ago.  I cut my paper pieces and my pieces of fabric.

I then basted the fabric onto the paste paper pieces with the words showing on the back. With my stitches I made sure to secure my folded corners.  Once all 7 were basted I started to sew them together. Can you see my mistake?  The floral one was supposed to be in the center but it was already stitched when I it so I just moved on.  Again, my scraps are in the blue tones.  I used embroidery thread to stitched the sides together but in some early cases my stitching is too tight. I should have left some slack to allow the pieces to fold out edge to edge.  I have never done this before so who knew!

I am happy with this piece and it will join the others in their plastic bag until the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.