Saturday, January 20, 2024

Sylvia's Simple Shots

I had been thinking of auditory things for relaxing this year.  A Westminster Chime Clock, a Tongue Drum, Tibetan drum music CD were things that cam up.  

I recognize that I don't have musical talent so a drum might be an expensive mistake and I had no experience so I would have to find someone to help me. Again, a chime clock is expensive and maybe to much for the small place I have, a CD is certainly a possibility. 

Then, I found these at a Thrift shop for under $5.  They are Chinese Chime Balls - Baoding Balls.  Well, that may fit the bill.  They are 1.5 inches in diameter and quite heavy so they will not work as intended in my hand. For now I put them in my pockets when I am home and they chime during my morning workout.

This is one of the things that arrived following my visit to the ReUse Center today.

Gorgeous translucent red mitten ornaments for the Christmas Tree.  Yes, it is still up. There were three of them and they are plastic.  Would have been amazing if they were glass.

I have to go through my ornaments and purge the ones that I know now will not work with my wall tree.  Maybe that is why I am not taking it down because there a big job ahead.




Another visit with the doctors in Ballybucklebo Ireland.  I finished this book - " An Irish Country Welcome" by Patrick Taylor. 

In this book Dr. Barry Laverty and Sue are now married and expecting their first child.  Barry is finding it challenging to be on the other side of the desk as he and Sue navigate a few challenges with this pregnancy.

During this time the country is suffering with sectarian tensions in Ulster in the late 1960's.  The Catholic / Protestants conflict arrives in the little town and the people put a stop to the divisiveness. Everyone are neighbors and treat everyone with consideration.

A new doctor, Sebastian Carson joins the practice for internship. Being upper class it takes a bit of getting used to the ways of the rural folk. Dr.  Fingal O'Reilly and nurse wife Kitty start to cut back on the work at the practice as they head toward retirement.


I finally got myself some applique pins for my slow stitching.  I am enjoying my big project and anticipate continuing to do stitch work of some sort so it made sense to invest in some of these.

They are shorter with small heads so they don't get in the way as the regular glass ball quilting pins do.

After several visits to Michaels I had to head to Walmart to actually get these.  I did find serger thread on sale so I bought 2 more cones.

The big project is coming into it's final stages.




I remembered to stop by Lee Valley and buy Tung Oil.  I had recently found a video on line talking about it and what is sold with that name on it.  The fellow was suggesting making sure that it is 100% pure Tung Oil. 

It will come in handy for part of the big stitching project.  You will have wait and see how.

I will use it on my dining room table as well.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.