Sunday, March 10, 2024

Sewing Project - Book Cover/Carrier

My sister and I had a discussion recently about products we could sew.

Book sleeves seen to sell well.  They just protect a book but don't allow you to read without folks seeing what you are reading.  I'm not sure how import that is.

We did find adjustable book covers which are not as adjustable on the height of the book only the thickness of the book.

There were book cover carriers which allow you to protect the book, open the book to read and will a flexible closure would adjust somewhat.

I did watch one video which I followed the instructions which made this book cover much larger than it should be.  I have put one of my hard cover books in it and it's still a bit too tall but about right for thickness.











The book carrier has great handles which I think are the right length. It has yellow pocket sleeves which provides a contrast to the pale blue lining fabric. There is a layer of cotton flannel in it to provide some padding. There are 2 mini pockets to carry a pen and maybe a small notebook. It has an elastic closure which allows tension to keep closed and flexibility on the thickness of the book. it has two bookmarks which may be handy. I have added a pony bead to the elastic which shorten it and works better. It also provide purchase to pull it across to the button.

The final measurements of the book cover/carrier are:

16.5 inches wide, 10.5 inches tall, cover pockets are 4.5 inches deep, mini pockets measure 2.5" w X 4.5" tall, handles are 9.5 inches long.

There are a few things to improve upon with this design. 

  • I attached some reinforcements for the elastic and the button and sewed them directly through the cover pockets which now limits the width of the cover you can put in the sleeve. 
  • I think the overall height is too tall. 
  • The width of the overall carrier may be to much as well. 
UPDATE:

I have decided to convert my book cover to a sleeve where it is a much better size and it will accommodate any book almost.  It holds my largest paper back book which measures 5.5 inches wide by 8.5 inches tall. 

I just created a narrow tab for each end and finished the ends - top folded and bottom hemmed and top stitched it into the folded length of the bag.  The pockets on the inside are largely inaccessible and I cut off the book marks. 

I am happy with this.

This book sleeve because it is in the landscape orientation allows you to hide your book cover if you choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.