Saturday, March 9, 2024

Sewing Project - ReUsable Bag - Navy and Taupe Squares

This is the last of the 7 inch cotton poly squares in the Navy and Taupe which I received for free.  I paired it with some navy microfiber cloth to have enough fabric to complete the project. I created two 6 square panels then serged all the seam edges. I then sewed the 2 panels together with a French Seam hiding all the raw edges which created the bottom of the bag.

Realizing that it was not tall enough and I needed handles as well I dipped into my good microfiber fabric and chose this navy.  Works well with the pattern in the squares. I cut the navy panel 12 inches wide and ironed it half to 6 inches tall.  I then measured the width of my bag and sewed the strip to be exactly the same width then serged that seam.  Now I sewed the  navy panel to the top of the squares bag with the serger then top stitched fabric to the serged edge from the top on the squares piece.

I then changed my thread to navy for the rest of the project.

I ripped my handles to 3 inches wide and 41" inches long.  I sewed them and turned them inside out.  I fold the raw edges of each end to the inside leaving me a 40" handle.  I pinned the bottom of the handle to the bottom on the first rows of squares 5" inches in from the right and left side.  I created my reinforced squares on the bottom and the spot where the handle meets the top of the bag.  The handle is top stitched on both edges for both handles.

I added a decorative stitch along the top of the bag to keep that fold in place and to add my elastic to the inside of the bag which I can use to roll up if I want it to take less space.















This bag will replace my shopping bag.  This one I made a year ago. It is polyester and is very thin but I just loved the color so I just enjoyed for as long as it was going to last.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.