Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Slow Stitching - No. 011 - Kawandi and Respect Traditions

Here's my piece for week 11 - prompt Kawandi and Respect Traditions. This challenge is hosted by Kathyn at K3N Cloth Tales.
Kawandi means quilt in Siddi people of India. Traditionally, the edges are all folded over then stitched to a base foundation and an extra layer of fabric is added in the middle after the outside pieces are stitched. Grains of rice are added to the quilt to wish the recipient full bellies.  The kawandi is considered naked with out the puhlas (flowers) in each corner.

I chose a blue cotton base fabric and stitche my first pieces all the way around the edge folding the base layer and my top scraps as I went. I chose to leave raw edges on the inner pieces of the piece as it was too difficult to turn over edges on such small pieces of fabric. I confess that I forgot my puhlas so they were added at the end. I am so grateful to Kathryn for sharing and presenting videos so well prepared and educational.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.