Thursday, March 14, 2024

Sewing Project - Book Sleeve - Red Batik




I started with the red piece of batik fabric.  I did not have enough to make the whole sleeve so I pulled a few fabric from my stash to complete the colors in the fabric.  I added some black, red and taupe.

I wanted most of the front to feature the batik fabric.  I added black on either side then a piece of taupe on the right hand side.  The back features 2 pieces of batik and black and taupe.  The taupe was on the opposite side so they would not be together when I sewed the bag. I added a strip of red along the top front to finish off the piece of fabric.  Piecing together the fabric took much longer than using a single piece of fabric. There were more choices to make coordinating the colors and the fabrics.

I then laid it onto my flannel padding piece and top stitched the red pieces with red thread and the black the matching thread. Now those pieces were one.

I used some red cotton poly as the liner.  Again, cut the the same size at the main fabric which is 12 inches wide by 19 inches tall.

I wanted the handles both to be black as it was sturdy fabric and a dark color. I just had one piece so I made the back handle out of all red fabric.  The handles were cut to 12 inches long with top stitching.

I used a hair elastic for the loop but I would not do it again.  The center is very hard and the elastic is very dimensional which made it harder to sew into the seam.

I chose a vintage cream button for the front of the sleeve.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.