Monday, February 20, 2023

Sewing Project - Patterned Polyester - Large Bag

When I was out shopping with my sister on the weekend I found this lone pillowcase and these nice colors - Turquoise, lime green and grey and a beautiful pinwheel pattern. It was an impulsive decision to purchase it.  Big spender at .50 cents.

This pillow case is made of polyester and is not microfiber.  It is quite thin.  It did not have a wide band at the top like most pillowcases do so that gave me more fabric to work with. 

It was constructed differently as well in that it was folded on one side so there were seams on one side and the bottom.  I like to have a fold at the bottom which I think is stronger.

I reinforced the seams with another of my own. I decided to add a boxed bottom since I had lots of fabric to work with. This also allowed for more reinforcement to the bottom of the bag.




I chose some turquoise bias tape, a turquoise button and black elastic for this bag.

Still working with the medium grey thread which was great.  I have gone through one bobbin and I have a cone of thread so I am good to go for a while yet.

I did have to cut off some of the length at the top otherwise the bag would have been to tall and skinny.

Finished it measures 24" tall x 19.5" wide.  The bag part is 16.5 inches deep. 

I was toying with making a bag to store it since I had cut off some fabric but stuck to the tried and true method.



Despite being bigger I think it makes an overall smaller package when rolled up. 

So a bigger bag in a smaller package and it's pretty may be winner.

The package of bias tape for this bag was prices a $1.50 so an older one for sure.

The fabric as very much inclined to fray so that was a bit of a challenge. Also, it was much more susceptible to a hot iron so I have to be very careful to keep the temperature down.

Getting the cut edges encased quickly was quite important.  

Update: I am keeping this one for my own ReUsable Bag.  I love the pattern, the colors and I brought 14 books home in it the other day so it is strong as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.