Saturday, February 4, 2023

Sewing Project - ReUsable Shopping Bag - Single Layer

Here's the second bag I created with one of the pieces I cut earlier from the beautiful navy microfiber fabric.

Fabric is cut 18 inches wide and 44 inches tall. The seams are encased to ensure no open fabric edges. 

I generally followed this video tutorial by Fabric Patch. Easiest Shopping Bag.

I will shorten the handles on the next bag which will give me more depth in the bag.  I should be able to make 2 bags with one package of bias tape. Works for me!

I was super happy to use some of my hoarded bias tape on the handles. Yellow on the outside and narrow navy in the middle.  

I had to scour my elastic collection to find some narrow elastic which worked for this project.  I will have to keep an eye out for more.

The bag measures from top of handles to the bottom edge - 21 inches.  The bag part measures 12 inches high by 16 inches wide. I used 7 inches of narrow elastic.

To store the bag you fold it in thirds making sure your button is under the folds.  Roll the handles down to the button and roll up the bag to the button and just wrap the elastic around the roll.  Excellent!

I will work on a few more of these bags. 


Turns out I need a full package of bias tape to make one bag.  That's okay I have plenty of them and they need to be gone.


Navy and orange I guess that's Oiler's colors.  I am really happy with these bags.  Not really small enough for purse I think but easy to manage. The colors defines the edges, are bright to help find them in the depths of the car trunk. 

I reduced the length of the handles by 2 inches which I don't think will make any difference to the handling and will make the bag part bigger.  It should hold more stuff.

I centered the pattern on my fabric which has been folded in half top to bottom and side to side.

I will have a few of these curvy leftovers as the left and right sides of the handles end up as scraps.


I made this one with aqua colored bias tape. I ran out of the black narrow elastic and thought I would use some gold elastic cord leftover from Christmas.  Bad Idea!

It is very hard and I broke my sewing machine needle trying to sew it in place.  I ended up hand sewing it on and well as the button.

With the process all worked it I figure I can make a bag in about 40 minutes. I think that is pretty good.

I still have enough fabric to make 4 more bags then I will have to keep an eye for another wonderful microfiber sheet so I can make a few more.

The double sheet I had would make 10 single layered bags.

I think that is very good value for fabric.  I will likely donate these to the group that my sister is volunteering for if they are going to be giving away bags.

It would hold a decent amount.







Update:
I removed the gold elastic and replaced it with a white one.  It was stitched with the machine which is stronger. Then I sewed the button back on.

Happier with that result.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.