Monday, August 31, 2026

Vintage Spool Gift Items

I have decided to work with my collection of wooden spools to make gift items for the Christmas store.

Here is a cute little flower in a wrapped spool.

I added a bit of green yarn for leaves.

A brown circle on the top of the spool for dirt and a black one on the bottom to protect the surface it sits on.

I will be able to use some of my lighter twisted stems that did not work for the bigger flowers.

There is hints of raspberry in the flower so I used a scrap of fabric to wrap the middle of the spool.

I found a small jig in my wire box which I was grateful was still there after the decluttering before the move.

It was perfect to create a small flower from 26 gauge wire. I chose navy and wrapped and tightened. Pulling the 2 ends down into a twisted stem which I just did by hand with a skewer at the end.  I sewed 2 yellow buttons to the center.

I folded the twisted stem at the right height and then folded it again on itself to fit into the hole of the spool. I wrapped the middle with yellow cotton topped with a strip of navy cotton and stitched it in place.

Brown dirt circle on the top and black on the bottom.  I added a set of green yarn leaves to the stem. Another ready to go.

I used my purple wire pin jig again to create a pink flower from 26 gauge wire.

I created a twisted stem again. 

Folded the stem and pushed it into the center of the spool which made it quite secure.

I sewed small purple buttons on both sides of the center.

I added a piece of bright purple fabric folded in half leaving the fuzzy edges at the top.  It was stitched closed then wraps were added around to provide some highlight.

Brown dirt circle on the top and black on the bottom.  I added a set of green yarn leaves to the stem. 


This is copper wire from a motor or something.  It had crusty bits that had to be removed but easily flaked off.

I doubled it because it was thinner than the colored wire I used earlier.

I added olive green fabric scrap to the middle of the spool sewed closed with orange thread then some wraps to add interest.

I added orange buttons to the center back and front with embroidery floss.

Brown dirt circle on the top and black on the bottom.  I added a set of green yarn leaves to the stem. Another ready to go.

Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.