Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Sewing Project - Quilt 6 - Yellow, White and Navy

I finished another quilt yesterday.  I am using those Crushed Curry floral squares again. You can see the first quilt where I used them.  That was a great deal on fabric.  I have enough for another quilt.

Final Size: 40.50W x 54.00T inches

Technique: QAYG Mom Style

Colors: Yellow, Embossed White and Navy

Squares: 9.5 inches

I decided to quilt as you go the columns this time.  A process my Mom shared with me. It will be more efficient in time and involves not cutting the backing and batting into small pieces.  The columns were sewn together with a pair of squares in matching colors as shown on the left. The backing was left in one large piece and I starting quilt on the left hand side.  On the first column you have a roll of backing and batting in the throat of your machine but as you move right the bulk ends up to the left of the needle.  The first seam was the first column and the navy strip then I ironed the strip over and added the 2nd column.  Stitched again and iron that one over to the right. Left to right goes like this: Column 1, Navy strip, Column 2, Column 3, Navy strip, Column 4

Quilting: Diagonal across the 9.5 inch squares in a pattern which makes these large diamond shapes in the center panel.

Binding: Navy at 2.5 inches.  Sewn to the front, folded to the back and finished from the front to catch the fold over on the back.  Makes a really nice finish on the front.

I decided to leave the striped flannel as the backing to provide a warm and soft layer.

I paired the yellow floral squares with white embossed fabric which adds to the quilt but not another color. Coordinates with the pattern in the yellow squares.

I was limited in the amount of flannel I had so I made it 6 squares tall and 4 squares wide.  I wanted to increase the width so I added 2 navy stripes which helped to bring the navy I was going to use for the binding.

Lessons Learned:
  • This process is definitely faster in putting the quilt together.  
  • I have decided to use a neutral thread on the inside seams. I am getting some cones of thread from a lady at quilt group.  Grey, Black and White.  That will help a lot. Thread is expensive.
  • Adding another row of squares helped with the symmetry in the design of this quilt.

1 comment:

  1. Well done!! Great that this process is so time effective!!

    Therese
    www.tmalakart.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.