Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Sewing Project - Quilt 3 - Yellow Turquoise & Navy

I have made another small quilt to whittle down my fabric stash. The fabric in this quilt is all 100% cotton.  The golden yellow print  was paired with turquoise sold.  I used navy as an accent on the yellow squares, the sashing and the back squares.

Squares - The squares were cut at 9.5 inches.  The quilt features 4 squares wide and 5 squares tall which translates into 40 W x 48 T inches. Total squares = 20.

Yellow - 10
Turquoise - 10
Flannelette squares used between the 2 layers - 20
Navy - 20

I used the same Quilt as You Go method as before.  I decided that I needed each square to have quilting to the edges.

I cut navy squares measuring 4" and folded over the edges over a card board 3 inch square.  Once pressed, I removed the card board and placed the navy square on the yellow square on the diagonal in various positions along that line.  I sewed down the diagonal, around the edge of the square and carried on to the opposite corner.  I then returned with another line of stitching about 1/8 inch apart and along the other side of the navy square and ended back where I started.

I placed a similar double line of navy stitching across the diagonal on the turquoise squares.

Sashing Method - I used Teresa Down Under's - Quilt-as-you-go with narrow sashing tutorial. I highly recommend this method.  It works so well.  I did  not hand stitch and instead used a decorative stitch to tack down the sash on the front of the quilt.

Binding - I used a 2.5 inch wide binding in navy cotton in the length of 180 inches.  I used this video to add the binding to my quilt.  How to Bind a Quilt: Foolproof Tips for Great Results | Quilting Tutorial

The back squares and sashing were done in the navy.  The thread I used was polyester.  I used 2 spools and filled the bobbin 4 times.

I started cutting square on Monday Night and finished by supper time on Wednesday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.