Sunday, September 2, 2018

Mosaic Monday - Brass Kaleidoscope

I found a brass and copper kaleidoscope at the thrift store yesterday!  I was over the moon because it was under $5 with the weekly discount.  There were one of the wheels had pieces missing, it was filthy and the pin was bent but that was okay. 

I brought it home and carefully gave the metal it's first polish in years.  It will need more but a little at a time will do the job.
I pulled out my container of glass gems and searched until I was able to replace the 5 missing pieces. 

I carefully used a Q-tip to clean all the glass pieces on the wheels.

The cylinder which holds the mirrors is brass. 
The eye piece, the wheel fitting and the legs are copper and have an incised pattern on them.  The bead edge of the wheels is also copper. 

The wheels contain a variety of glass.  Glass gems, stained glass, iridescent glass, colored glass and textured glass.  The shapes are irregular which enhances the shapes of the final images produced.

It is over 9" inches long including the wheels and front pin.

I need to find it a stand to support the brass cylinder.

It is a perfect retirement gift for me.  I love it!

Sharing with Mosaic Monday #99 hosted by Maggie at Normandy Life.


7 comments:

  1. Beautiful find! Happy Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now isn't that just beautiful! What a lucky find, something to treasure for always. Happy MM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful. I was looking over some of your past posts and love all your paper creations. I wish I was crafty like this, but alas-- I am not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely find. Happy mosaic Monday

    Much👩‍🏫love

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a unique and beautiful find, Sylvia. You really hit the jackpot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sylvia - how clever of you to recognize this treasure when it was still 'trash'. I am impressed that you were able to repair it, and the results are phenomenal - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, it’s wednesday and I will visit the friends of Mosaic Monday...

    ...it’s a wonderful Post for this theme!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.