Monday, September 24, 2018

Upcycled Shirt - Smock Apron

I designed a new apron to use a used men's shirt.

This is a men's large 100% cotton plaid shirt in red white and navy.  The fabric is beautiful.

I cut the neck line into a nice round ensuring that the first button was close to the neck line.  I cut the sleeves off leaving the seam on the apron.  I chose red bias tape for this project.  I then sewed on the bias tape on the neckline and the sleeves.

I used one of the long sheets to make the extra long tie which allows tying in the front to back to the back.  In some situation you may not want these ties dangling in front. It was sewn to the center of the back of the apron.

The second sleeve became 2 patch pockets on the front of the apron.  I used the last the red bias tape on the slant edge of the pocket to coordinate with the rest of the apron.  The pockets had the seam allowance ironed then it was top stitched in place below the waist tie.

This is a great apron which provides great clothing coverage, excellent pockets, and a versatile tie.

The original shirt pocket remains as well as the button down front.  This one worked out so well.  It would work for a smaller person as you will be wearing it over clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.