Monday, September 17, 2018

The Zoo - Pandas

A trip south to see the Giant Pandas at the Calgary Zoo was on my road trip list for this summer.

I managed to get there on the last day of summer weather - Sept 11th. It snowed the next day.

The 4 pandas Er Shun and Da Mao, and her two cubs, Jia Panpan and Jia Yueyue will be staying in Calgary for 5 years.

There was only one who was active during my visit.  Check out the last photo in the mosaic.  Do you think it wants to see anybody?  Don't think so!

I fortunate that kids were back in school and my visit was during the day so the crowd was small.

My niece came with me so I had a great guide to making the most of my limited time there.

It was great and I expect to visit again before they leave.





The Butterfly House was another must.  The species seem to bit limited in this house and I found the same at the Botanic Gardens earlier this summer.

Of course the Blue Morpho is the hit of the house. I managed one with its wings spread. The other is one which had just emerged in the chrysalis house.


















This black and orange one on the left is the Hecale Longwing and the one on the right is the Dark Evening Brown.  I was concerned it had lost a lot of wing but its wings are very squarish.

















In the Canadian Wilds area I found the Whooping Crane and the Great Grey Owl.


Sharing with Maggie at Normandy Life who hosts Mosaic Monday #101.

4 comments:

  1. That Panda looks like a big ole stuffed toy! Cuddly and cute! lol And of course I'm in love with the owl! Happy MM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fun visit! The Pandas are wonderful. We went on a long camping trip years ago, Calgary being the furthest place we got to -- we went to the Stampede and the Calgary Zoo .. all six of us, gosh it was almost half a century ago when our now middle-aged kids were young. Nowadays, other than the chance to see a Panda, the butterflies and native species would be most interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always thought that pandas are such fascinating creatures and would love to see one in real life if possible one day. Great butterfly captures they fascinate me too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the giant pandas. I saw them at the National zoo many many years ago and have never forgotten. Beautiful butterflies and I love the owl. I love going to the zoo! Fun post!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.