Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Sylvia's Simple Shots

Spring is here. 

There are frozen puddles in the morning on my walk.  These have so much texture in the old leaves and the thin layer of ice with the water underneath.

Last year's aspen leaf awaits to provide energy to the soil to allow new growth to start.

I love the colors in this leaf - yellows, dark browns, even a hint of deep green.

The ice has crinkles, bubbles, and crackles.

            

 

 

Over the last few years I have learned with an east exposure I don't get enough hours of sunlight to grow what I would like.  I  have managed to keep my Dracaena Marginata and Devil's Ivy alive.  I have added an Asparagus Fern to the mix.

I am working on growing my own herbs, especially basil.  On my one visit to the green house last week there were no basil plants ready so I decided to try to start one from seed.  I have purchased a grow light in hopes of being able to supplement the natural light available.


I have put the bulb in this yellow lamp and have placed it about 4 inches from the pot.  I will adjust as the plants grow. I  put 5 seeds in the pot.  It is recommended 8 hours of light a day.

I really like dill as well so on my next trip to the greenhouse I will pick up one of those and I should know how my basil is doing by then.  The girl said the basil plants should be in by sometime in April.

I finished this book on Sunday, given to my by my sister.  

It is the first in a series of 14 by Jan Karon so will be on the hunt for the rest and I hope to read them in order.

The main character is Father Tim, an Episcopalian rector shepherding a parish in Mitford, NC.  Things are going well but he is feeling a little directionless after being there 12 years. He will be turning 60 in a few months.

What's next?  As they say don't ask the question if you don't want the answer.  A dog, a boy. diabetes and a female neighbour all come into play in the next few months of his life.

It was a great book.  A bit of parish life, scripture references, prayer requests, and wholesome values are all in this great story.

I would recommend this book. At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon.


I bought some tulips on my one day out last week.  I chose the red with orange edges because they were the nicest but not necessarily my favorite color.

I did enjoy them on my table for a week. This week most of the petals have made it to the the table top.  

Tulips are a sign of spring as well with Easter coming around the corner.


The challenge at Flickr Macro Monday was bells.  A few Christmas ornament were taken out of the closets for this one in order to stay within the 3 inch limit.  You can check out my Flicker Photostream (SMDPics) to see the one I submitted.

I am sharing with Angie who hosts Mosaic Monday #122 and

Mersad who hosts Through My Lens.

5 comments:

  1. Hope your basil grows for you. I've decided to put in a small herb garden in the ground this season. I haven't had much luck growing herbs, but I figure if I place them together, they'll cheer each other upward. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Mitford series is a lovely set of books to begin reading. Gentle and fun. I'm glad spring is appearing in your area. Basil seeds can take awhile to germinate, so be patient!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sylvia - that first photo is a masterpiece. A simple subject but so textured. I love the crinkles in the ice! I used to have many houseplants, but now I have one anthurium (in water, which makes it easy to keep). I love dill, but my hubby doesn't use it much in recipes. I can't complain since I don't do the cooking!!! The tulips are so pretty in that vase. Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to read this interesting Post, find another Fan of paperworks.

    Happy MosaicMonday

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read some of the Mitford books a long time ago and I think they would be a perfect read for these times! We need a dose of “everything’s going to be alright.” (And I don’t remember any details, so I can read them again, I just remember the general feeling.). ..... I looked at you beautiful cards in all of the above posts and all I can say is that if I ever got a card so perfectly made I would display it forever,. They are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.