Thursday, April 9, 2020

Sewing Project - Face Mask Two

I made my self a second face mask for going out on grocery shopping trips.

I chose the same Egyptian 100% cotton fabric for the front with a high thread count.

I used twill tape for the ties which was wider than the bias tape I used on the first one.

I created the 2 side pieces from the same fabric which covers the raw edges once the pleats had been sewed down.

On this one I created a channel in the center on the inside where the nose is to insert a plastic tin tie so I can form the mask to my face.  This helps to ensure the mask is tight and my glasses don't fog up.

I sewed the channel to the 2 inside layers before I added the twill tape across to top of the mask.  This makes so the zigzag seam does not show up on the front. I used the same fabric as the front. The tie is removed when washing the mask after every use.

These are the ties I have used.  They go on a bag a the top then you roll the bag down and fold over the ends over the fold to keep the bag closed.  It allows keeping the product fresh while accessing what you need. 

Mine came when I bought loose tea and were used with plasticized paper bags. It is 1/4 in wide, it moulds nicely to the nose and stiff enough to be removed.

I skipped the flannelette layer on this mask but created a pocket on the inside where a filter could be inserted.  I used the same tone on tone caramel fabric on the inside.  I cut the pieces the same size as the front, laid them onto each other, placed a seam to the right and left of the center leaving the center open.  Once I ironed the layers up and down to expose the slit I top stitched the edges.  The slit is in one of the folds so it will stay closed fairly easily.

I am not sure what I will use for a filter.


With the highest quality fabric I had at my disposal and within the guidelines recommended I have 3 layers of cotton on each mask. 

I am ready when I head out for groceries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.