Monday, April 6, 2020

Sewing Project - Face Mask

I made myself a face mask to where when I go grocery shopping next time.

I chose fabric from an Egyptian Cotton pillow case with a brocade pattern.   The middle layer is a piece of white flannelette.  The back piece is a piece of tone on tone 100% cotton in caramel.  I chose Egyptian cotton because it's thread count is on average 500 versus quilting cotton at 60.  The tone on tone cotton sheet averages 250.  The flannelette was new and nice and fluffy.

I cut the pieces 7 x 9 inches.  I sewed the pleats on both ends first.  I then added brown wide bias tape over the raw ends.  I then sewed narrow bias tape in brown measuring 44 inches long along the top and bottom edges centered then finished into ties on both sides.   The ties may be too long but I guess it was designed to accommodate a bunch of different users.

I will give it a test run tomorrow in the house so I am ready for the trip out later this month.

I chose all cotton fabric because it can be boiled for disinfecting it.  Laundering them is in the regular laundry run.  I have been washing my gloves when I return from a trip out for groceries.  I will have several pairs and use a clean pair each time I go out

I will be making another once I have test run this one. 

Note: 
After washing for the mask the first time the narrow bias tape had to be undone and resewed in several places.  Single fold bias tape is too narrow my opinion.  I used it to make the ties skinny but would not do it again. 

I have retrofitted a nose piece channel on this one as well.  You can check my 2nd face mask post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.