Friday, September 15, 2023

Fabric Coasters - Set 2

Another set of coasters done today.

The turquoise set in the corner is fabric I dyed in the microwave with Rit dye.  It worked pretty well.  I had cut the pieces to a bit larger than what I needed so if it shrank or the edges got messy I would still have enough to cut my 5" squares.  

It is interesting the different weights and tightness of weave in linen.  The loosest weave was the blue denim and the rust colored ones. The olive linen was tightly woven. 

Mostly I put in the scraps of flannel I had.  The yellow ones needed white flannel as they were quite thin and the pattern showed through.

This is 22 sets of two coasters.

I am really happy this effort.

The changing of thread for each color took some time but was absolutely necessary.

These measure 4.25 inches square.

I was very fortunate to have a 5 inch and a 4 inch quilting ruler so that made cutter a lot easier.  

The rotary cutter and large cutting mat was the foundational. 

The chop stick for pushing out the corners was the perfect tool for the job. Not too sharp to ensure that the corners were not pushed through.  

The large fabric scissors went well to trim the excess fabric off the corners in one stroke in each direction.

I did have to purchase thread for the wheat colored and the olive colored ones.  That was expensive but worthwhile.

I have started using golf tees to keep my bobbins with their parent spool of thread.  The connectors I spent a lot of money on just broke after a couple uses.

The flannel squares were easy to cut and quickly make as stack so I could just pull them off as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.